Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5 Can Boot The Modem Processor On Snapdragon 835 - Needed For Cell/WiFi On Qualcomm Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.5 Can Boot The Modem Processor On Snapdragon 835 - Needed For Cell/WiFi On Qualcomm Laptops

Phoronix: Linux 5.5 Can Boot The Modem Processor On Snapdragon 835 - Needed For Cell/WiFi On Qualcomm Laptops

With the Linux 5.4 cycle we saw mainline support beginning to come together for some Qualcomm ARM Linux laptops while with Linux 5.5 another milestone is being achieved. There has been out-of-tree support in the works for getting the various consumer Snapdragon laptops working with Linux while those changes are slowly getting into the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't suppose the 850 also gets affected by this? It's basically just an overclocked 835 on a refined 10nm node, but it uses a different model number (SDM85). Although it hasn't arrived yet, I just got the Lenovo C630, and it'd be pretty great if using USB networking will be a very short-lived endeavor.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 02 December 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I don't suppose the 850 also gets affected by this? It's basically just an overclocked 835 on a refined 10nm node, but it uses a different model number (SDM85). Although it hasn't arrived yet, I just got the Lenovo C630, and it'd be pretty great if using USB networking will be a very short-lived endeavor.
      If I not mistaken modem already boot on 850, but something isn't right with firmware generation script or firmware files itself, more info here.

Comment

I hope that modem processor doesn't have a baseband processor in it, as having that attached to your system is too scary.

Comment

It makes me wonder how much more performance a Snapdragon 835 laptop could achieve in comparison to a PineBook Pro. The PineBook Pro would probably still be worth it because of the upgradable motherboard, NVMe drive, and better Linux support.

Comment

It is even better for the cellphones. This allows longer support with new android releases. Affects more people than laptops

Comment

I hope one day we will have a full phone supported by the linux kernel. i am dreaming i know

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                I hope one day we will have a full phone supported by the linux kernel. i am dreaming i know
                There have been for a while, they're just not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  There have been for a while, they're just not very good.
                  The poco f1 boots with just a handful of patches to the mainline kernel according to the linux plumbers conf 2019. So we aren't that far away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                    Well.......there was that Intel Realsense phone. Most likely candidate. Other than that, hopefully Librem 5 can someday be powered by mostly open source software.

Comment

Working...
                    X