Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86 8.1-r3 Released

Phoronix: Android-x86 8.1-r3 Released

For those interested in running Android on x86 Intel/AMD hardware, the Android-x86 project is still churning along but while Google is onto Android 10, this project is still tracking Android 8 Oreo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Android is a terrible desktop operating system, and a bad operating system in general under the hood.

Comment

For running Android on PCs, I'd probably say Bliss OS is a better choice. It's based on Android Pie and has better customization for PC users.

That said, Android is pretty much a no go without a touch screen system because so many apps and games just won't behave properly without it.

I would only ever use Android in a VM on a PC, though. Anbox is a more elegant solution once it becomes a bit more stable and updates it's Android image from Nougat to Pie or newer.

Comment

Everything I came to say has been said

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Android is a terrible desktop operating system, and a bad operating system in general under the hood.
          Yeah.... Linux sucks..

But, I think Android x86 is pretty cool. The one thing Android does better than every Desktop OS is chat messaging. If you want to chat with a large screen, multiple apps and a real keyboard.. this might have a real use case. However it does have a lot of bugs and as people have said hard to configure games to work with a mouse and other odd quirks.

I've gotten graphics to work in the past, web browsers, even games but it's touch and go. When I was playing with it I was using PhoenixOS.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 30 October 2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            Yeah.... Linux sucks..

But, I think Android x86 is pretty cool. The one thing Android does better than every Desktop OS is chat messaging. If you want to chat with a large screen, multiple apps and a real keyboard.. this might have a real use case. However it does have a lot of bugs and as people have said hard to configure games to work with a mouse and other odd quirks.

I've gotten graphics to work in the past, web browsers, even games but it's touch and go. When I was playing with it I was using PhoenixOS.
            It's not terribly hard to screencast to a miracast HDMI dongle, and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with an Android tablet, and that takes away your usecase.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

It's not terribly hard to screencast to a miracast HDMI dongle, and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with an Android tablet, and that takes away your usecase.
              Thank you, Lennart Poettering. I didn't understand my usecase wasn't your approved usecase. I'm wiser now.

Pretty soon you'll just USB-C a monitor to your phone tho and run Android in desktop mode.. I thought the feature was pulled from Android 10.. hmm

Honestly that will be a competitor to Windows for most people.. The year of the Linux desktop? So said for those Gnu ppl.. they weren't included.. lol
              Last edited by k1e0x; 30 October 2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                Thank you, Lennart Poettering. I didn't understand my usecase wasn't your approved usecase. I'm wiser now.
                Well, you are a *BSD user, it's normal for your kind to waste much more time to get something working worse than most other normal people can do.

Pretty soon you'll just USB-C a monitor to your phone tho and run Android in desktop mode.. I thought the feature was pulled from Android 10.. hmm
                USB-C does not mean that the phone hardware actually connects anything more than a USB 2.0 controller on its side. That's the great promise of USB-C, an amazing interface that no device really uses fully apart from some laptops and desktop motherboards.

Miracast wifi screen mirroring does not rely on hardware support, many devices supported that since KitKat (4.4 I think?).

Honestly that will be a competitor to Windows for most people.. The year of the Linux desktop? So said for those Gnu ppl.. they weren't included.. lol
                The setup I described above is what quite a few people "migrated" to when they ditched their old PC

Comment

Working...
                X