ARM-Powered Lenovo Yoga C630 Laptop To See Better Support With Linux 5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    The PineBookPro is much better value, and with excellent community support I think would be a much better choice of an arm-based laptop.
    I pre-ordered one so am eagerly waiting
    Those are developed and priced low by making certain decisions to keep costs down. One of those is the displays are allowed at least 3 bad/damaged pixels on the display iirc. Details like that were mentioned on their forums or an announcement indicating it was more of a gift to the community and more of a hobby/dev quality product rather than commercial consumer one. I think there was some other drawbacks that made it less appealing after I read it(was back in july or early august I think).

I'm not sure how well the RK3399 is supported on Linux, I know it's one of the better ones due to usage in Chromebooks and other products beyond the few SBCs using it. When looking into an ARM SBC, it appears that there are some common problems especially with USB, RK3399 also had them afaik. It became less appealing after weighing it up at least, maybe the next iteration will be in a better state.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      I'm not sure how well the RK3399 is supported on Linux, I know it's one of the better ones due to usage in Chromebooks and other products beyond the few SBCs using it.
      a lot of work on the PBP has made it pretty good for running linux or chromeos, according to blog posts.

the thing about dead pixels is Pine hedging their bets, simply because of the price they pay for LCDs. they expect them to be better than that, but they want to stop people returning functionally perfect machines because they expect them to be as good as expensive premium machines.

Comment

Im really impressed by the laptop. I got it on special for $370. It performs like a 2018 mid-range i5 laptop, but has 10 times the battery, fast wifi,a a great screen,SB-C backlight, tablet mode, NTrig pen and PD charging.

Comment

Working...
        X