Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 To Introduce New "Adder WS" Laptop With 4K OLED Display

Phoronix: System76 To Introduce New "Adder WS" Laptop With 4K OLED Display

System76 will be announcing the Adder WS laptop next week as their new high-end Linux laptop offering that features a 4K OLED display...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yuck!

Intel isn't good for security and Nvidia isn't good for FOSS Drivers.

Comment

And again with an nvidia GPU

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
        And again with an nvidia GPU
        This is mostly due to:
        - Higher power consumption on AMD cards
        - Lack of proper mobile GPUs
        - Yeah, I know Ryzen+Vega is an option but then it wouldn't be as fast as the NVIDIA card
        - There still are some caveats with the AMD open-source drivers (stability and issues with mobile chips)
        Last edited by tildearrow; 02 August 2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

#WaitingforZen2

Oled is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This is mostly due to:
            - Yeah, I know Ryzen+Vega is an option but then it wouldn't be as fast as the NVIDIA card
            - There still are some caveats with the AMD open-source drivers (stability and issues with mobile chips)
            I'm running only open-source graphics stack. So, Ryzen+Vega would be 1000x faster than intel+nvidia.

Currently I've got HTPC/MediaCenter based on Ryzen 2400G,... And, soonish I'll be purchasing a new laptop, requirements:

* water spill-resistant keyboard,
            * complete HW support by open-source drivers,
            * 14" or 13.3" screen with FullHD resolution or higher,
            * optionally, a good gpu.

So, that rules out all laptops with nvidia cards. And, probably all laptops by System76, AFAIK, they aren't spill-resistant.

My ProBook 4530s survived a lot,... including water spill by my wife,.. (accidentally) smashing it against metal handle of door,... also fall of hot soldering iron on it.

So, probably my next purchase is going to be ProBook 645 or EliteBook 845.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
              And, soonish I'll be purchasing a new laptop, requirements:

* water spill-resistant keyboard,
              * complete HW support by open-source drivers,
              * 14" or 13.3" screen with FullHD resolution or higher,
              * optionally, a good gpu.
              Have a look at the Lenovo X1 and X1 Yoga. I've had various X1 generations and really like their runs-with-latest-Fedora-out-of-the-box. They also have AMD Ryzen models with Vega GPU: T495 & T495S. Don't know if they have a water spill-resistant keyboard but the Dell XPS13 and XPS15 are also worth a look.

Comment

This is mostly due to:
                Too bad they didn't consider Ryzen+Vega+Navi over Intel+Intel+Nvidia.

Use the APU for most stuff, switch over to the dedicated GPU when the performance is needed.

Comment

This is mostly due to:
                  Clevo not caring
                  What?

Comment

This is mostly due to:
                    The 2070 isn't a mobile GPU and the article doesn't appear to suggest it is a 2070M or whatever, so, a lack of mobile GPUs isn't a valid reason.
                    They're most likely underclocking and undervolting the 2070. A mildly underclocked and undervolted 5700 would've been a decent drop-in replacement. AMD hardware seems to scale down pretty gracefully in terms of TDP, especially at 7nm. The 5700 is overall a little slower than the 2070, but not enough where a laptop user is going to notice.
                    If they were to use a 5700, they wouldn't have the stability issues with mobile drivers; AMD's open-source drivers are typically pretty stable otherwise.

I'm sure the more likely reasons they didn't use AMD is because:
                    - Navi is too new, and they wouldn't have had time to work on it (developing a laptop like this doesn't happen in just a few months).
                    - Nvidia has better support in professional environments. I'm sure this PC is built more for high-end workstations and server testing rather than gaming, and currently, Nvidia is a more ideal choice for that (primarily thanks to CUDA and application-specific optimizations).

Comment

Working...
                    X