Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.3 Will Surprisingly Support The Newest Keyboard/Trackpads Of Apple MacBooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such dedication. They may even go increase support for Applevidia cards in Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Thanks for the reply.

What you've said very much justifies their decision IMO.

I don't buy Apple stuff myself, but I often find myself marvelling at some of their nice design solutions. However, I also find myself cringing sometimes too :P That phone "notch" thing seemed pretty insane to me. It looked like it created a ton of work for software devs and provided little or no benefit.
      Yeah, screen notches still baffle me. The argument now isn't that they're particularly costly (because evidently lots of manufacturers have figured out how to make them at high volumes with low cost), but I don't generally understand the interest in removing forehead and chin bezels, since as far as I can tell, they are very helpful for holding the phone, and you can't really comfortably touch anything on the bottom edge of a phone anyway. Extra-tall(or wide, in landscape) displays are another baffling trend, at least when the displays are taller than the difference between 16:9 and the edge of the display (ignoring the notch); even 16:9 on phones seems silly to me. I miss the iPhone 5C form factor, and the iPhone 4 display size.

For now, when I buy a smartphone, it's usually not meant to be activated with the network. I buy primarily based on battery life, since there are not really any compact phones on the market anymore. I never owned an iPhone for personal use, but when I was developing for iPhones, I really enjoyed using the iPhone 5C. The glossy polycarbonate and lively colours were really nice, I always thought the iPhone 5C got way too bum a rap. The smooth back edges were very comfortable to hold.

Phones have been "thin enough" since about 2013, but for some reason they keep trying to make them "thinner than ever", the same seems to also be happening with laptops at this point.
      Last edited by microcode; 22 July 2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

microcode - I have very similar views, especially about how thin devices are getting. I actually like devices to have a bit of girth to them.

The low battery life of some modern devices is also insane. My friend says that his current and previous iPhone cannot get through a single day without requiring a top-up charge during that day. He's not a super heavy phone user either.

I don't know if this is the case for you, but one thing that bothers me about many phones I've held, is that they have buttons on the sides which are very easy to accidentally press when picking up or handing the phone to someone else. I find myself holding other people's phones, super gently, like they are baby hamsters, in order to avoid accidentally pressing buttons. This is not ergonomic at all. I personally think there should be no buttons on the side, so that you can grab the phone like any other object.

Comment

Even though I'm not a Mac user or fan myself, it's still good to see support for these laptops on Linux As long as the quality remains good and the stability remains stable, the more support for hardware the better

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            That phone "notch" thing seemed pretty insane to me. It looked like it created a ton of work for software devs and provided little or no benefit.
            People want bigger screens so they are easier to see and read text on but don't want to sacrifice the front facing camera or having a phone that doesn't fit in their pocket.

Making it harder to hold is definitely a disadvantage, but apparently phone manufacturers think that their users think that the advantage of a notch outweighs the disadvantages for most consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

People want bigger screens so they are easier to see and read text on but don't want to sacrifice the front facing camera or having a phone that doesn't fit in their pocket.

Making it harder to hold is definitely a disadvantage, but apparently phone manufacturers think that their users think that the advantage of a notch outweighs the disadvantages for most consumers.
              Eloquently put!

Comment

Working...
              X