Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Q's ANGLE Offering OpenGL ES On Top Of Vulkan 1.1

Phoronix: Android Q's ANGLE Offering OpenGL ES On Top Of Vulkan 1.1

With the Google I/O conference happening this week, Android Q Beta 3 was released and it continues furthering along the company's Vulkan adoption...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds neat. Sucks that I won't use it anytime soon.

Now if only they could figure out a way to push system updates to everyone so we don't have to depend on manufacturers and carriers. Android isn't so free and open when you factor in having to buy OS updates every two years due to firmware blobs not being updated and/or the OS not having an if/then compat layer regarding drivers and blobs.

Comment

Be pretty cool if ANGLE could support full OpenGL. We could start dropping OpenGL drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Now if only they could figure out a way to push system updates to everyone so we don't have to depend on manufacturers and carriers. Android isn't so free and open when you factor in having to buy OS updates every two years due to firmware blobs not being updated and/or the OS not having an if/then compat layer regarding drivers and blobs.
        That's called Fuschia.

It has a stable device driver interface.

Comment

Treble is supposed to help there.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Be pretty cool if ANGLE could support full OpenGL. We could start dropping OpenGL drivers.
            I'm pretty sure most phones don't support full OpenGL anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

Treble is supposed to help there.
              Treble doesn't cover the kernel, where a lot of the update issues still occur.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I'm pretty sure most phones don't support full OpenGL anyway.
                That's the point - ANGLE could support it. There's probably little point of doing that though performance-wise, as ES lacks certain GL parts for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

That's called Fuschia.

It has a stable device driver interface.
                  you only need a stable device driver interface if you want to go through the trouble and support closed source drivers or drivers not being upstream. And in those cases you are already in a world full of pain and the stable driver interfaces just makes it easier for vendors to do nothing.

Comment

It is in the beta release announcement, called Project Mainline.

It will distribute udates for "modules" via Play Store updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X