Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Baytrail & Cherrytrail Systems Can Now Correctly Hibernate Again Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Baytrail & Cherrytrail Systems Can Now Correctly Hibernate Again Under Linux

Phoronix: Intel Baytrail & Cherrytrail Systems Can Now Correctly Hibernate Again Under Linux

Baytrail era systems have been a bit notorious on Linux but at least one recent regression is now resolved that for the past few kernel releases had broke hibernation support for Intel Baytrail and Cherrytrail SoC systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FYI The freezing issues were never resolved on baytrail: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

I've personally verified this with 4.9 a few months ago.

The reason they go unreported is because one of the merged patches effectively killed off performance while another killed battery life (different cstates being forced on all the time by different distributions) so people boot linux, see it doesn't work right, see that monstrous thread from above and give up.

The last rumor I heard was that there some patches and firmware updates exclusive to Google's Chromebooks that solve the issue but neither Intel nor Google are willing to upstream since they break certain DRM protections. Regardless, Intel isn't willing to comment on the subject regardless so that's that.

Comment

It literally took a rocket scientist to get linux running on these architectures(gallium os). And he's gone back down into his hole in Los Alamos.

I realize these are trash chipsets, but Intel needs to do a lot better on the driver front. They keep dumping this crap into the market by the millions, and we're left picking up the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        FYI The freezing issues were never resolved on baytrail: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051
        Actually the Intel open-source devs have been working on fixing this and a patch-series which should improve things wrt this has been queued for merging into 5.3 (it just missed the 5.2 merge window), see: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-int...e4d05c8c4ffd95

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post

Actually the Intel open-source devs have been working on fixing this and a patch-series which should improve things wrt this has been queued for merging into 5.3 (it just missed the 5.2 merge window), see: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-int...e4d05c8c4ffd95
          Just wanted to say, many thanks to you Hans for all the good work you've done for desktop Linux over the years.

Comment

Waiting for Intel's "Chemtrail" chipset... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
              Actually the Intel open-source devs have been working on fixing this...
              Hans, while I appreciate your personal help in the matter, when it comes to Intel, the z3735f came out in 14q1 and while I've seen the same issues with a later baytrails, please understand when I'm being a bit skeptical, cynical and damn right hostile in saying this. But we had a dozens related commits over the years and nothing solved it properly or at all. So, at this point, when people ask me if they should buy this or that Intel, my answer would at most change from "They sell hardware that doesn't work properly in Linux despite saying otherwise" to "They sell hardware that doesn't work properly in Linux despite saying otherwise until they get around to fixing it 5 years later".

So, thank you for trying to address the matter at all. And I suppose I'll even extend the thanks to Red Hat, IBM and to Ville Syrjälä and Mika Kuoppala. But to Intel... A pox on their house!

Comment

Working...
              X