Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2 Should Resolve Many AMD Ryzen Laptop Touchscreens/Touchpads Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Touchscreen worked since month with Arch Linux on my HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5 2500), but latest kernel 5.0 is always stuck during modeset on boot and I have to use the lts 4.19 kernels.
    What version of the BIOS are you on? I have the same issue and somebody suggested a BIOS update to fix the issue. I’ve been stymied trying to update the BIOS and frankly haven’t had the time to resolve the BIOS issue.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

Ah! You remind myself. I had a Radeon 7870 which I bought because of the open source driver promise. It never worked correctly. You come here and see all the improvements reported on the mesa drivers and it always felt like in the next 6 months (next ubuntu release) things will hopefully work. I waited years and years like that until I had enough. I sold it and got an Nividia 1050. Closed driver but I don't care anymore. It works perfectly and I don't have to wait when the next kernel/mesa/whatever will be released and what each distribution will decide to incoporate. The drivers also have a GUI (!). So you can imagine my recommendation. Get an nvidia card.
      That's not what everyone experiences. I've had a HD4870, HD7950, then a R9 Fury, now Vega64 in my Desktop PC. After some initial problems all of them worked or do work fine for my tasks, no complains from my side.

At work I'm managing some 50 PCs in our Webdeveloper company, and I threw out all nvidia stuff over time. My Life supporting my colleagues has gotten much easier since that decision. Experience while multitasking between Browser, IDE and so on has gotten more fluid and less crashy.

Nvidia, on the other side, is just again driving me nuts. I do own a htpc setup, which is some years old by now. I use a Nvidia GPU in it because that was the better choice for video acceleration at that time. I wish I didn't. Currently awaiting first Ryzen 3000 APUs and Reviews.

And after all: I couldn't care less for a GUI...

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What version of the BIOS are you on? I have the same issue and somebody suggested a BIOS update to fix the issue. I’ve been stymied trying to update the BIOS and frankly haven’t had the time to resolve the BIOS issue.
        The BIOS update can be installed through pen drive if you can manage to get a Windows system to do so. It is currently the better method until HP officially support LVFS update for the ENVY series.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

The BIOS update can be installed through pen drive if you can manage to get a Windows system to do so. It is currently the better method until HP officially support LVFS update for the ENVY series.
          Yeah another thing to look into if I ever get time. I've tried using a pen drive to update with the HP utilities but they consistently tell me that the BIOS version is wrong. Frankly I've resorted to many approaches discussed on the net and none of them work for me. As a result I was going to try a Windows recovery to an external disk (the HD has been completely wiped for the Linux install). I really hate Windows so I've been avoiding that route too.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Touchscreen worked since month with Arch Linux on my HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5 2500), but latest kernel 5.0 is always stuck during modeset on boot and I have to use the lts 4.19 kernels.
            Remove file /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_dmcu.bin and rebuild initramfs. Newer kernels try to load updated dmcpu firmware and fail due to very old and buggy firmware in these HP laptops. Sadly bios update won't fix the problem as even the current bios contains that old firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              According to the line from the commented commit
              Code:
              03:00.7 MP2 I2C controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15e6
              it seems suggesting that controller may address that missing functionality of auto-rotation screen
              Code:
              03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device [0000]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
              as found on mobile Raven Ridge laptop like HP Envy x360 Ryzen series.

According to https://github.com/linuxhw/LsPCI , it looks like the auto-rotate screen will finally work.
              I managed to get it working with iio-sensor-proxy and kded-rotation (as KDE doesnt't have support for these sensors).

Comment

Anyone happen to know if FreeBSD already has this driver?

Comment

using Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen 2700 with Vega56 the problem with current kernel 5.2_rc2 still exists, my touchpad still not working and battery/power detection still a mess, I have to unplug and plug again so my cpu clock can running normally not just 500 Mhz

Comment

sorry I mean 5.2_rc1

Comment

Originally posted by fireedo View Post
                      using Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen 2700 with Vega56 the problem with current kernel 5.2_rc2 still exists, my touchpad still not working and battery/power detection still a mess, I have to unplug and plug again so my cpu clock can running normally not just 500 Mhz
                      I am starting to wonder if these issues will ever be fixed. Come to think of it I haven't tried my touchpad as I always use a mouse. Do you have any bug reports open? If so can you let me know where to find it and I will tag along also? Here is my main bug report in case you want to help advance the cause also: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110117

Comment

Working...
                      X