Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Releases Sailfish SDK 2.0

Phoronix: Jolla Releases Sailfish SDK 2.0

Following the release this week of Sailfish OS 3.0.2, Jolla has released Sailfish SDK 2.0 as a big update to the mobile Linux platform's software development kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's kind of weird how they release the SDK after the OS release. iOS and Android both release their SDK's before a new OS release, so applications can prepare for new features...

Comment

That’s not true. You can get SDK and device updates in advance (there is an “early access” opt-in).

Comment

"The new version adds the ability to install different Sailfish emulators to match the OS release of your choice. Currently there are emulators available for all of Sailfish 3 releases."

Finally. I haven't updated my SDK in years, because the SFOS I run on my phone is out-of-date.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryTheGravelGuy View Post
          "The new version adds the ability to install different Sailfish emulators to match the OS release of your choice. Currently there are emulators available for all of Sailfish 3 releases."

Finally. I haven't updated my SDK in years, because the SFOS I run on my phone is out-of-date.
          Mind elaborating why you don't update? Sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            It's kind of weird how they release the SDK after the OS release. iOS and Android both release their SDK's before a new OS release, so applications can prepare for new features...
            The Sailfish SDK was released well before the OS itself and the only thing that's being released now is a new version with additional features. Only native applications that are broken by SailfishOS updates are ones that don't behave like they should and insert hooks into parts of the OS where they really shouldn't and they only break when those hooks are overwritten when that part of the OS is changed.

As for applications that do occasionally break, those are mostly Android applications using the Android compatibility layer and the only time that's been a significant source of broken stuff was the update to SailfishOS 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              They release the SDK early for opt-in users. That's exactly how Android and iOS do it. The only difference is that the final version is released after a new OS release, but with the opt-in, devs could've easily updated their apps against this SDK release well before the OS release.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Mind elaborating why you don't update? Sounds interesting.
                It's not interesting.

I don't have Jolla hardware. I have a Nexus 4. I use an unofficial port of SFOS which has been abandoned, and I haven't been able to build a working recent version myself. Being so out-of-date causes some nuisances, but it's a lot less unpleasant than using Android.

Comment

Working...
                X