X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    but without manpower.
    Promised devs turned out to be a lie.
    They're focusing on the Gnome work because Gnome wasn't mobile ready at all (tablet ready, yes). KDE/Plasma is already mobile ready.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

PinePhone will be $149 with hardware kill switches. http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone
      And that was only just announced

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

And that was only just announced
        Announced last fall actually. Software developers are already working with the second round of test kits from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

They're focusing on the Gnome work because Gnome wasn't mobile ready at all (tablet ready, yes). KDE/Plasma is already mobile ready.
          Depends on what you call "ready". Yes, more ready than GNOME, I will agree on that. But there's still a lot of work to be done on Plasma Mobile, esp. in the department of not-wasting-screen-real-estate (it currently wastes too much space - and I'm talking about the main UI, not Kirigami which is very unobtrusive).

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
            I was very interested at first but then I saw the price, $649. Yeah .... no thanks. This phone is going to be less functional than any chinese crap. While I'm okay with paying premium for "libre" part but I won't shell $650 premium for crippled functionality and hardware. You can get a feature rich phone for $150, asking $500 on top of it is a bit much especially since application support will be very limited.
            Why where you interested in this phone at all?

Here is a novel concept for you, it is called a "niche market". Its somewhat obvious you just want a normal android phone, so go buy one. You are not the niche target audience. The phone is in fact very feature rich and has a lot of features that most smart phones do not have. Its painfully obvious that these are not features you want or care about, but have more mainstream demands. There are quite enough phones on the market for you, so I am not sure what you are bitching about.

This is less a phone, and more a pocket linux tablet, like the old n900. It won't run android apps, but it will run standard GNU and/or linux apps, including server and desktop apps.

If you ever got hands on a librem product, the build quality is top notch. $650 is fair price for a unsubsidized phone. It plans to have a replaceable modem, so you'll always be able to use it on new networks. Given that GNU, or even the planned muslc libs are far lighter than android, the seemingly sluggish specs would be more than enough for running standard desktop and small server apps, which this will run. With mainstream wifi drivers, you will be able to do mobile pen-testing, something very hard on normal phones. At the same time, negating the need to lug around a bulky laptop. It competes directly with a similarly priced GPD Win2 7 inch notebook, but with the advantage of a cell modem, and touch interface that will make it easier to use standing, and lower power arm chip.

This phone will be a giant hit with the IT professional, and pen-testing/security crowd, of which it was designed.

Comment

Working...
            X