Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS "Sipoonkorpi" Brings Firewall Improvements, Redesigned Image Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand ... they don't sell phones anymore (or it's well hidden) but they can pay 50 employees and develop Sailfish ? XD Can anyone explain it to me ?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
      The crazy/evil license guarantees that I will never use Sailfish. It doesn't matter to me that it would never hold up in any court. It's not their business what books I read or what movies I watch or who I talk to and what I talk to them about. It's a license violation to display "inappropriate" information? If so, then in my opinion, simply displaying the license, will be a violation of that very license. That's not a good sign.
      Can you elaborate what you mean by that. I dont think closed source UI components track you?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        I brought some 2 years ago, a xperia for saliffish OS,
        But it doesn't yet support my phone, with FM Radio, and I am still on this android sh*t..
        Probably it will never will, and I will never get the chance to test it.. pity situation..

The worst part...I lost my bb10
        I use my xperia since a year with sailfish OS installed.
        Radio would be nice but as far as I know my self, I will never use it after a first try.
        The only time I use Radio is in the car but even there I mostly listen to podcasts from my phone via Bluetooth - it's works but on a bad day I need to try more then once to get a connection.

TLDR: If I can use it as a daily driver, why can't you at least install it as a test?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

I use my xperia since a year with sailfish OS installed.
          Radio would be nice but as far as I know my self, I will never use it after a first try.
          The only time I use Radio is in the car but even there I mostly listen to podcasts from my phone via Bluetooth - it's works but on a bad day I need to try more then once to get a connection.

TLDR: If I can use it as a daily driver, why can't you at least install it as a test?
          I would like too, but without FM radio, its a no go for me, and for a lot of people..
          Sailfish OS continue to design new interfaces, but we want FM Radio.

Look, I don't event buy a Phone, without FM radio( its my first thing to look.. )
          It gives me Days of Battery listening music, without paying a cent to LTE operators, and it works in much more places...
          I Like freedom

To Give you an example, I tried to buy the Inoi r7,
          But at the time the Russian Customs, doesn't approved, and returned the phone to the Seller..
          At that time, the phone was only distributed to several Public entities..
          I got no luck

Because Inoi r7 is known to have FM Radio, out of the box,and its 100% Sailfish OS without the android sh*t layer
          Last edited by tuxd3v; 18 January 2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Look, I don't event buy a Phone, without FM radio( its my first thing to look.. )
            It gives me Days of Battery listening music, without paying a cent to LTE operators, and it works in much more places...
            I Like freedom
            I can't stand Radio I use a SD card with hundreds of MP3s that I actually like - the same collection is on a USB stick that i use in the car

Comment

Originally posted by VanCoding View Post
              Before that, there's no point in using this over Android IMO.
              In Android land, it's the core services (Google Play Services) which are closed source (leading among other, the geolocalisation routine constantly leaking your position to Google's server - see Bryan Lunduke's presentation). Without that, you're stuck at AOSP and lots of apps won't work.
              (Luckily, there are re-implementation efforts like MicroG)

In Sailfish, the core is completely open-source. (That includes core services, etc.) Only a few superficial things (user apps, Lipstick, etc.) aren't open yet.
              Technically you could make your own Mer Project-based phone, you won't be missing any core service (Nemo Mobile is exactly that - using the Mer core but replacing Sailfish's Lipstick with Glacier UX).

Another difference is *what* the non opensourced parts are written in.
              On Android, these parts are compiled bits. You get blobs and bytecode, something that isn't trivial to hack into.
              On Sailfish, these parts are written in QML+JavaScript and are human readable files that are trivial to edit and patch - it's even possible to release the patch under some opensource licensing and there's a community of 3rd releasing mods (look for Patch Manager). It's reminiscent of the situation with HTML+Javscript apps on Palm/HP's WebOS
              So even if in theory the license isn't opensource yet, the source code of this parts is already accessible and hackable. It's not that much blocking your fundamental freedom to tinker, you're only limited in that you can't release your own modified version, only the patches for it.

So, when compared to Android, Sailfish is still better in my own opinion.

And compared to Purism's Librem it's actually an OS that you can buy as of today and run on current not so bad hardware.

Comment

It gives me Days of Battery listening music, without paying a cent to LTE operators,
                ...but depending on where you live, you'll be then eligible for TV/Radio tax.

Comment

Originally posted by daufinsyd View Post
                  they don't sell phones anymore (or it's well hidden) but they can pay 50 employees and develop Sailfish ? XD Can anyone explain it to me ?
                  They do not sell phones *directly* to end users but :

(A) - they help develop Sailfish OS based-platform that they sell to large customers (mostly business-to-business or business-to-government).
                  Most of their money comes in because some company or some branch of government want to have a custom tablet or smartphone solution.
                  The partnership between Inoi and Jolla in Russia is exactly that. Before that, Intex has asked them to provide Sailfish on the Aquafish phone.
                  This selling is "well hidden" - i.e. not accessible to you, because basically you aren't a large business or a branch of government.

(A) - to the end users, they sell license for Sailfish OS (called "Sailfish X") that you can run on a few select platforms. They won't sell you the actual hardware, but you can buy hardware from partnering companies (e.g.: they've partnered with Planet Computer for the GEmini PDA, and they are one of the multitude of companies using Sony's Opendevice program - thus making Sailfish OS available on Xperia X and XA2)
                  This isn't hidden at all, that's what you can buy from Jolla's shop (well as long as Amazon's Cloud's shitty geoloc thinks you're in Europe).
                  Compared to the community edition, this comes with some support, and Jolla throws in a few closed source bonuses: an Android compatibility layer by Myriad, a client for Microsoft Exchange Server and the T9 predictive input.

Note that even the closed source bits of Sailfish OS are available to free, so if e.g. you want to run it on a platform without official support, you might find community ports. (e.g.: other variants of Xperia, FairPhone 2, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

...but depending on where you live, you'll be then eligible for TV/Radio tax.
                    Yes indeed, in Europe lots of Countries including mine tax TV/Radio, so I payed for it in Advance...one more reason to get it, and nothing else
                    Apart from that, FM radio is available almost everywhere without LTE companies, I can travel in Europe and listen music, its very very nice!!
                    I cannot separate this function...for me its the core of the Smart Phone, plus all other features,
                    And like me, zillions of users..
                    Ofcourse, I would like to have a xperia with the Russian version of Sailfish OS, because they get what we don't get( pure sailfish OS without android bloatware, with all the core features.. )

I don't even like my xperia, I brought it because it was stated that FM radio will come later...but this later...have become years, and nothing yet...
                    Maybe blackberry will go again with a bb10

Comment

As a former Maemo aficiado I want to love Sailfish OS, I really do, but invariably after looking at their updates and reading customer feedback I end up feeling underwhelmed.

I realize their hardware adventure failed and they're - admirably - still trying to compensate the customers who never received their Jolla devices.

It's like Jolla never managed to capture the imagination and support of the open-source developer and user communities which would have been their greatest resource and asset. Apparently both the browser and VOIP integration are lagging. What do they think people are using their phones for these days??

I've looked at the supported Sony Xperia XA2 models (really wish they had removable batteries but I could make an exception if other stars align...) and they look decent indeed and they even have official Lineage OS (formerly CyanogenMod) support although at relatively low user numbers it doesn't tend to last very long.

Being able to dual-boot between official Android/LineageOS and Sailfish OS would reduce or remove the risk of trying out Sailfish, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to achieve that?

It's slowly getting closer but still fo far. The world could use a trustworthy open-source mobile OS like the Maemo people at old Nokia intended.

Comment

Working...
                      X