No announcement yet.

UBports' Ubuntu Touch OTA-7 Is Being Prepared With On-Screen Keyboard Themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ElectricPrism did you hear about the fairphone? It's an awesome project which created a phone designed to be repaired, able to evolve (both hardware and software), built with fair trade materials and is available with AOSP. You can install anything on it, Firefox OS and Ubuntu touch have been community ported.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Since my phone was destroyed recently it sure would be nice if I could buy a decent Linux phone.

Now I have to make a decision on dropping 800 or 1600 on new devices that I don't even want or wait for Librem 5. Or I could get a gimpy cheapo phone and wait it out hoping its worth it and that my workflow won't be obstructed in the meantime.

If anyone has any buying recommendations I'm all ears, I thought I read something recently about Google Pixel being able to run Linux Mainline, maybe that is the way to go.

It's important to me that I be able to SSH into my phone and Rsync. MTP is a joke on Samsung devices and I think I am done with Samsung like I am already done with Apple and Microsoft.

(Or maybe they turned a new leaf with Samsung S9 but no AUX jack really annoys me as I use that feature regularly and have 0 time to charge, recharge, and have blue-tooth earbuds fly out of my ears during active sports. I am sick of these anti-consumer realities. No I don't want to pay 99.99 for Bluetooth Earbuds with crap batteries when I could just have a 9.99 cable that I NEVER need to recharge or think about.)

I would honestly consider buying a device if I could flash it to ubports and it was 2017+, assuming that such a device would be powerful enough to do all the basics without hiccups.
      If you want a great Linux phone for a decent price, you can pre-order the Planet Computing Cosmo Communicator. It supports multiboot out-of-the-box, so you can easily install any distro you like.

Or the Fairphone, though its specs aren't as good as the Cosmo Communicator, but it's a bit cheaper though.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 03 January 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        If you are looking for something cheaper there is the Pocophone F1 which is a cheap Snapdragon 845-based phone. It has ads though.
        My dad recently bought a Pocophone. Haven't seen one ad and he also didn't complain about ads himself, so what are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

My dad recently bought a Pocophone. Haven't seen one ad and he also didn't complain about ads himself, so what are you talking about?
          Just google it.
          There are users reporting seeing ads in the settings menu.
          But maybe its not in all regions, so he might not have seen any ads.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            You don't need a custom ROM to run Google Camera.
            Google Camera on APKMirror.
            Google Camera on XDA-Developers.
            That is true, I was just mentioning this option due to camera blobs not always working as well as stock on most devices.

Comment

Working...
            X