Better Linux Support Is Coming For The Huawei MateBook X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Those things you said were all available in KDE before 2016.
    Yes,
    But the Only laptop I know that has a Oficial Support is the Slimbook-KDE

But it doesn't have my keyboard type, and so, its a no go for me..

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      I wanted to get the MateBook X Pro earlier in the year, noticed it selling much cheaper in the states for some reason(I think that's the case with a lot of electronics though). I was surprised when in China at an official Huawei store that the price wasn't really any better than elsewhere in the world, only the states had the sweet pricing.
      I wanted the Slimbook-kde, to support KDE team...but its a no Go, even after a long request made for a keyboard type, with Company, taken in account all costs...
      They refused to do so..

The MateBook X Pro, is more than a match for me, but it doesn't support Open Source development I think ?!
      The keyboard key camera, popping up...just beautiful!

Christmas is very close, maybe I will acquire it..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Yes,
        But the Only laptop I know that has a Oficial Support is the Slimbook-KDE

But it doesn't have my keyboard type, and so, its a no go for me..
        Well, if you want to create artificial barriers to not use this or that hardware and software, more power to you...

I use KDE distros on several different laptops since forever, never bothered me to chose something with "official support".

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Did you write that statement incorrectly? Apple is still small in the markets for desktop PCs and mobile devices in the world where Windows and Android dominate.
          The topic here is the Huawei ultrabook that wants to compete with Macbook Pros, therefore the context is people who are able to afford a Macbook Pro, but may be swayed by a high quality PC ultrabook regardless of whether they are using Windows or Linux. If that is not the intended context of the article then the basic premise of comparison with Macbook Pros is wrong, if you are comparing two products then you need to consider the target audience for both. Also numbers on paper don't mean much, $$$ does, Apple may have "only" 15-20% of market share on the phones, but it profits far more from those 15-20% than anyone else, they don't want to "dominate" the markets and become a company for plebs like the others, they make tons of money by being exclusive and pricy, it is not their policy to overrun the market with cheap products that anyone can afford. It would be like saying Mercedes has a small market share compared to other brands, Mercedes does not want that big market share, they make tons of money by being exclusive and pricy and Apple does exactly the same thing.

Well designed...as in aesthetically right? Not functionally. The mouse example I mentioned is a perfect wtf in regards to functional design. Some people place higher importance to aesthetics though and aren't bothered by the fact that it can impair functionality(they can just buy a spare).
          Aesthetics is again more important to majority of users out there who are the potential buyers for Macbook Pros, again in the context of potentially not opting for a Macbook Pro in favor of Huawei or any other brand of PC ultrabooks. Also soldered parts are a commonplace in PC ultrabooks as well, it is not Apple exclusive, RAM and PCIe SSDs are often soldered, not always, but quite often.

The fact they're not Apple and don't run macOS is a positive for many. Go look at the reviews and feedbacks. Even some users that would buy macbooks in the past are choosing MateBooks. Apple established itself as a premium brand and with macOS further separates itself to appeal to exclusivity, bragging rights etc. Not one response from you about all the bullshit I experienced, sure the UI is visually nice, but if you're going to prioritize that being buttery smooth when the system shits itself out of the blue, you got your priorities wrong. I can get a lot more out of a system for my money if I don't go with Apple. You're not wrong, it's a great choice for people that are technically inept and solve their problems by throwing money at it. Or because it's fashionable, for social status etc.
          I did not comment on your experience precisely because it is entirely subjective, my experience with MacOS and iOS has been amazing, same goes for iPhone and Mac owners I know. Who is right? Both as every user's perspective and experience is unique. How many people here swear on the quality of Linux and yet how many users out there tried Linux and said it was a buggy piece of crap that does not even have proper driver support for many types of hardware? See my point? I did not comment because experiences are subjective and depend on a lot of factors. However if Apple products performed on average so badly as you describe them they would never reach the popularity they have. Bugs can and do happen to all operating systems depending on a ton of factors, but Apple's control over both hardware and software minimizes the chance of encountering issues.

And it is a gross oversimplification of things to say only technically inept people buy Apple products, that is a common hype that has been peddled around since iPhones became popular, you could say the same for a vast majority of Windows users and even for a good deal of Linux users whose knowledge about Linux goes only as far as to install it and use sudo apt install. It is just more fashionable to attack Apple users due to the social hype of Apple products. Exactly the same type of attack Linux users directed against Windows users for many years, especially prior to the smartphone era. Only people who don't know anything about computers use Windows is a mantra I have seen since 1990s in the Linux community. Due to enormous success of iPhones Apple became a more fashionable target in recent years.

Are most Mac users technically inept? Yes they are. Are most Windows users technically inept? Yes they are. Is a decent chunk of Linux users actually technically inept beyond installing Linux and using a few simple commands while having zero understanding on how Linux works? Yes they are and no Phoronix is not a good example of the demographics of Linux users, a good deal of your average Linux users have only the most basic understanding of how to use it and how it works. Are ALL Mac users technically inept? No they are not.

Recently Apple was fined for intentionally slowing down their older products with updates to encourage customers to upgrade to newer iterations, they admitted to it. You want to support a company like that? Oh right, Apple users have that stereotype of being ok to throw money away, so it doesn't matter then I guess?
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNGLE7F6ZI0
          Company policies have nothing to do with the subject discussed here and that is can PC ultrabooks ever compete with Macbook Pros. I don't agree with how Apple handles their money grabbing schemes like charging extra if you want 2 or 3 year warranty etc on already expensive products, but that is not the subject here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Ask random persons on the street whether they want a Dell XPS with 4K screen that runs Windows/Linux or they want a Macbook with Retina screen and MacOS, most will want a Mac.
            I once asked that question, but even though most people knew Dell, they didn't know what a Dell XPS was, nor 4K, so they usually chose none of the two because they couldn't really compare them as they didn't know one of the two. Which goes to show that most people are uninformed.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 09 November 2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I once asked that question, but most people didn't know what a Dell XPS was, nor 4K, so they usually chose none of the two because they couldn't really compare them as they didn't know one of the two.
              And that proves my point, only small percentage of users know the pros and cons of this or that laptop or operating system, but most know of Macs, if you forced them to decide I bet most would opt for a Mac because it is Apple and people like the swag that comes with their products. Whether that swag is justified or not or how much of it is justified is another, and far more complicated, topic unrelated to the subject at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, if you want to create artificial barriers to not use this or that hardware and software, more power to you...

I use KDE distros on several different laptops since forever, never bothered me to chose something with "official support".
                I am very sensitive to projects that help OpenSource Developers,
                After all OpenSource is were we live, were we work....and what pays the house every month..
                So, I tend to go with OpenSource World, even if costs more.

Off course we need to measure the things, there are a lot of projects that don't deserve, because in there base you got only some of that freedoms, or none.
                But there are tons of projects out there that deserves our attention, and Christmas is there...for a reason

Comment

Working...
                X