Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Releases Sailfish 3.0 Mobile Linux Operating System

Phoronix: Jolla Releases Sailfish 3.0 Mobile Linux Operating System

For those interested in Jolla's Sailfish OS mobile Linux operating system, Sailfish 3 is beginning to roll out to supported devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the story with the browser there? Is it still using obsolete Gecko, or switched to a newer one?

Comment

What we need now is good tablet hardware to install this on.

Comment

man, it REALLY looks nice

Comment

And I wish they'd open source it already (it takes them years, and still no dice). Nothing beats their swipe UI navigation. Something Plasma Mobile should learn from.

Comment

Definitely looks nice and I'm genuinely looking forward to upgrading to it on my Xperia X when it comes available to the public along with attending the launch event at Kaapelitehdas in Helsinki on the 8th. Always thought the look of the UI in SailfishOS was a step backwards from MeeGo Harmhattan and this does improve upon it by a fair bit. Apparently the Android support is also getting a much needed major upgrade, but it would seem like it won't be available at launch for SailfishOS 3.

Let's hope Google going all robber baron over the EU putting a halt on their anti-competitive business practices means that we can see some devices that ship with SailfishOS outside of Russia and South America. Because I'm quite honestly sick and tired of the Android-iOS duopoly that has formed in the mobile device space.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            And I wish they'd open source it already (it takes them years, and still no dice). Nothing beats their swipe UI navigation. Something Plasma Mobile should learn from.
            Complaining about it time and time again doesn't help in the slightest when what's blocking a full open sourcing of the OS is other stakeholders, in this case owners of the company, with co-ownership of key components in the OS not being particularly open to opening it up completely.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Complaining about it time and time again doesn't help in the slightest when what's blocking a full open sourcing of the OS is other stakeholders, in this case owners of the company, with co-ownership of key components in the OS not being particularly open to opening it up completely.
              No other stakeholders, only Jolla stalling it forever. I'm not talking about stuff like ActiveSync or Android compat - I don't care about that. I'm talking about core components like UI and standard tools.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                What's the story with the browser there? Is it still using obsolete Gecko, or switched to a newer one?
                Still obsolete Gecko last time I checked. I would love to start porting WebRender to SailfishOS though, that would be such a nice match!

Comment

This is a huge letdown. More than half of promised stuff is missing. Unless the notes are incomplete no android VM update, no full encryption, no browser updates!

Jolla, lying as usual.

Comment

Looking forward to the day where a REAL open source Linux phone is available with KDE Plasma Mobile, Purism, UBPorts or whatever.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything Jolla because they have failed to fulfill their promises of open sourcing it. I don't see that changing.

Comment

Working...
                    X