Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Now Shipping On The Dell Precision 5530 Developer Edition

Phoronix: Ubuntu Now Shipping On The Dell Precision 5530 Developer Edition

Announced back in May by Dell was an Ubuntu option for their new (2018) xx30 series Precision laptops. They previously began shipping the Ubuntu-loaded Dell Precision 3530/7530/7730 mobile workstations while beginning to ship as of today is the Precision 5530 Developer Edition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Writing this from a i9, 32gb P2000 version of the 5530 running Kubuntu 18.04. A couple of tweaks were needed but now it runs perfectly! Even battery life is over 10 hours on the 97Wh battery with TLP and some powertop tweaks.

I'm really happy, and wish I could've supported the Sputnik initiative by buying it with Linux from the get go.

Comment

How is Optimus going? It used to work quite well in 16.04, but in 18.04 seems completely broken, requiring hacks, reboots etc to use the nvidia GPU.

Still hanging out for a decent Raven Ridge laptop.. (or Ryzen+discrete Vega but not in some 17" behemoth).

Comment

What is retarded is that the WX GPUS work just fine *out of the box* and yet they won't ship them...

Comment

"Sadly, the newer Ubuntu 18.04 LTS operating system isn't yet an option from Dell, but you can always upgrade it yourself."

I don't find that sad, if I were to buy one of these laptops and it came with 18.04 I'd wipe and install 16.04 immediately. I've tried 18.04 on three different systems (Kaby Lake workstation, Haswell laptop, Sandy Bridge workstation) and it is full of bugs and odd crashes right out of the box. 16.04 has been rock solid on any machine I've installed it on so far.

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
            Writing this from a i9, 32gb P2000 version of the 5530 running Kubuntu 18.04. A couple of tweaks were needed but now it runs perfectly! Even battery life is over 10 hours on the 97Wh battery with TLP and some powertop tweaks.

I'm really happy, and wish I could've supported the Sputnik initiative by buying it with Linux from the get go.
            What's your GPU setup? Are you running it with hybrid graphics or having the intel gpu disabled (not sure if that's possible on the Precision)? If you're running hybrid, are you using bumblebee?

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
              Still hanging out for a decent Raven Ridge laptop.. (or Ryzen+discrete Vega but not in some 17" behemoth).
              That makes the 2 of us. Waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...

Comment

ugg,

need more AMD 2400G laptops!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

What's your GPU setup? Are you running it with hybrid graphics or having the intel gpu disabled (not sure if that's possible on the Precision)? If you're running hybrid, are you using bumblebee?
                  To be honest I installed the proprietary nVidia driver as a simple way to deactivate the Quadro card and haven't really looked into a hybrid approach. For my use which is mostly development the integrated graphics are more than enough. It's nice to know that should the need arise for some beefier graphics I do have the option available, but for now it is not worth the tax on battery life for my part. If I end up with multiple 4k displays at some point I guess the integrated graphics might not be enough so that'll probably be the point where I look into hybrids.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
                    "Sadly, the newer Ubuntu 18.04 LTS operating system isn't yet an option from Dell, but you can always upgrade it yourself."

I don't find that sad, if I were to buy one of these laptops and it came with 18.04 I'd wipe and install 16.04 immediately. I've tried 18.04 on three different systems (Kaby Lake workstation, Haswell laptop, Sandy Bridge workstation) and it is full of bugs and odd crashes right out of the box. 16.04 has been rock solid on any machine I've installed it on so far.
                    Well for Michael, it always goes like: anything newer = better. No questions asked. It's a recurring theme.

Comment

Working...
                    X