KDE Neon With Plasma Ported & Optimized For Low-Cost 64-bit ARM Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon With Plasma Ported & Optimized For Low-Cost 64-bit ARM Laptop

Phoronix: KDE Neon With Plasma Ported & Optimized For Low-Cost 64-bit ARM Laptop

KDE developers have ported their Ubuntu-based KDE Neon distribution to the 64-bit ARM Pinebook as well as optimized the Plasma desktop experience for this device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about the GPU drivers though? That's very important for desktop use.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      What about the GPU drivers though? That's very important for desktop use.
      They've been using the opensource Lima drivers AFAIK (or was it panfrost?).

I've been quite tempted to buy one to replace my aging Atom-powered netbook, but at the time there was no viable option for the graphics drivers.

Comment

And yet, some people still believe KDE is a bloated resource hog...

Comment

i really want to buy one... the price tag is very nice too
          does anybody know where to get it in germany? can't find it

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            And yet, some people still believe KDE is a bloated resource hog...
            it is. hence they had to optimize it in order to run properly. AKA disabling the bloatware.

Comment

It's good to see Linux becoming available on low end devices. Pending on your needs, an $800 System76 or Entroware laptop might be overkill and too costly. A pinebook would make sense in this case. if you wanted to stay on x86 train but not break the bank, I would personally recommend the Acer A114-31-C4HH. It hovers between $170 and $210 and does not come with Linux preloaded; however it is x86 with 4GB ram, 1080p 14" screen, fanless, and all the parts function with a fresh KDE neon install (my family owns four of theses, all with Neon, no problems, just make sure the BIOS is over version 1.05) Plus it has an Ethernet jack, on a ~$200 laptop. Would definitely recommend if you need a bit more than what the Pinebook is offering.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-...sFL&ref=plSrch
              Last edited by Numeric; 22 August 2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I've considered getting the Pinebook, but the only thing that really prevents me from doing so is the lack of RAM. I'd be perfectly fine paying more for an additional 1-2GB. I shouldn't need any more than 4GB, seeing as ARM programs tend to be less memory intensive.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

it is. hence they had to optimize it in order to run properly. AKA disabling the bloatware.
                  I'm not saying KDE is the lightest DE ever. But lightness in a DE will not come without compromise. For example, I really cannot stand using LXDE because it doesn't have auto resize windows as you drag it to the edges. But that must not be a problem with people using 1366x768 screens, where you almost always use full screen on applications.

With that said, KDE have no problem running on my low powered systems, witch really cannot be said of Windows 10 or some versions of Gnome by you know who.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Where did you find the info about disabling bloatware? i could only find that they've created a specific image and they've fixed a few bugs that benefit everyone who use Plasma.

Comment

Working...
                    X