Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Laptop Quirks Queued For Linux 4.19

Phoronix: More Laptop Quirks Queued For Linux 4.19

The x86 platform drivers area of the Linux kernel is ready for the 4.19 kernel cycle to get underway next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Linux would get confused when user-space was tryling to toggle the backlight state on these newer laptop keyboards.

Comment

Nice! I hope this leads to resolving suspend issues on Ryzen mobile based laptops.

Comment

Laptop scene in Linux is a real shitshow thanks to Nvidia+ Intel combination.

Because GTX 9xx and Gtx1xxx series are not working out of box when you install Nvidia blob drivers. You need to edit grub to a specific version of Windows acpi version than boom!

Suddenly touchpad or some other hardware stops working until you decide to dive in SSDT tables. Which needs a lot of work and not OK from a user perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
          Laptop scene in Linux is a real shitshow thanks to Nvidia+ Intel combination.
          Fortunately, most of laptops on the market shipped without dGPU, so such issues is kind of isolated to specific series of laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Fortunately, most of laptops on the market shipped without dGPU, so such issues is kind of isolated to specific series of laptops.
            Well, I'd limit "fortunately" only to combination of NVidia and either of Intel/AMD. I vaguely remember NVidia haven't had some interfaces, like something related to DRI_PRIME.

I have a personal SAMSUNG laptop with 2 AMD GPUs from r600g era, and also some months ago we at my work ordered a few DELLs 5767 with Intel iGPU + AMD dGPU combination, and preinstalled Ubuntu. Both works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

You mean with just Intel HD. Yeah , you can watch video on them.

Bye to gaming.

Genius idea comes from a hardcore user.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                You mean with just Intel HD. Yeah , you can watch video on them.
                Bye to gaming.
                Genius idea comes from a hardcore user.
                Fortunately, if one want to play games on laptop running Linux, he for sure remember Optimus fiasco and whom Linus said "fuck you". He also know which one dGPU vendor is Linux-friendly, so there is no reason to go shitshow direction. If one decide to go this direction, and voice his concern about smell - in my opinion, it's a good thing, because more users will make right choice on gaming laptop GPU brand. Don't you think it's a good thing?

Comment

Working...
                X