Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel IWLWIFI Adding 802.11ax Support In Linux 4.19

Phoronix: Intel IWLWIFI Adding 802.11ax Support In Linux 4.19

The latest Linux wireless driver code was sent in today for queueing in the net-next tree ahead of the Linux 4.19 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

6GHz!

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    2.4/6GHz spectrums
    And what happened to 802.11ad, which has been advertised on a very few motherboards?

Comment

802.11ad was for wireless display, 60ghz doesn't penetrate walls at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        Other Linux WiFi work for Linux 4.19 includes Mediatek MT76x2u and MT76x0U support along with WIL6210 Talyn-MB support, WoWLAN support for QTNFMAC, USB support for the MT76 driver, and other minor improvements/fixes. The complete list of wireless-drivers-next changes for 4.19 can be found from this pull request.
        As an owneer of devices using the MT7610u and MT7612u chipsets, this is way, way overdue. About time. Now we finally have mainline support for two USB-based 802.11ac chipsets.

And I 'm even more amazed to see that the MT76x0u and MT76x2u series are getting mainlined even before the way more popular RTL8811au and RTL8812au chipsets.

Comment

Does it have a worse range / penetration than 802.11ac?

Comment

Of course. 60 GHz EM waves are much easier absorbed by obstacles than 5 GHz EM waves. Plain physics.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Does it have a worse range / penetration than 802.11ac?
              Range is a function of power and antenna design. At least for line of sight it is. In a case of these very high frequencys you get behavior that is a lot like shining a flashlight on a wall. Just about anything in the signals path will cause it to cast a shadow

at the high frequencies the antennas are often refered to as "optic" In any evrnt think line of sight

Comment

And affordable 10Gbit Ethernet is still a year away...

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
                  And affordable 10Gbit Ethernet is still a year away...
                  Affordable 10GBit ethernet switches are quite a bit more than " a year away", and that's crucial if you want to do more than just point-to-point communication, or if you don't live in a small apartment so you want to have cables going in multiple rooms.

I mean, most switches I find tend to cost around a thousand euros. I understand that it's not something I'm going to change the next month, but it's still an order of magnitude too much for consumer use.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Affordable 10GBit ethernet switches are quite a bit more than " a year away", and that's crucial if you want to do more than just point-to-point communication, or if you don't live in a small apartment so you want to have cables going in multiple rooms.

I mean, most switches I find tend to cost around a thousand euros. I understand that it's not something I'm going to change the next month, but it's still an order of magnitude too much for consumer use.
                    Sure, I meant that it is perpetually a year away for quite some time... Currently it is sometimes cheaper to buy some second-hand Infiniband to get such throughput, which is somehow insane.

Comment

Working...
                    X