Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium Appears To Be Advancing Their Linux VR State

Phoronix: Chromium Appears To Be Advancing Their Linux VR State

Google's Chrome has offered virtual reality support for a while and most recently will even let you browse the web in VR while the Linux support has lagged behind...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Linux-VR-State

Linux is a second class citizen even on Firefox too, no surprise here.

About VR on Chromium: I see you are over-hyping it, they did it just for testing purposes. Their target is Android, not Linux itself.

This app draws the VR UI in a window on Linux, using fake browser state. This lets us debug UI appearance and implementation without building and loading the full Android APK.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      About VR on Chromium: I see you are over-hyping it, they did it just for testing purposes. Their target is Android, not Linux itself.
      I guess that explains why I never heard of it.

Comment

It occurs to me now, how useful are VR features in desktop-space web browsers when you can have something like Janus VR instead?

There's no meaningful continuity from the monitor to the virtual environment, and I think that's just an inherent limitation of the format that can't be papered over with advances in technology. We probably should be focusing on making passable made-for-VR counterparts to desktop staples.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I guess that explains why I never heard of it.
          Indeed...

Comment

Working...
          X