Valve May Be Moving Closer With Their VR Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haagch View Post
    True, but they are windows-only headsets. They are even literally called "Windows 10 Headsets".
    Master is butthurt about the fact that MS does not have their own VR headset, the fact that OEMs make their own crappy versions of "VR" does not make him less butthurt.

Yes, and they continue to do so by buying PCs with windows.
    They will buy whatever with whatever OS on it, as long as it works, they don't and can't make a choice.
    Windows PCs have reached critical mass much time before Linux was even a thing, and the situation couldn't really change unless MS blew itself up.
    This was not decided by people, as I said.

Maybe so, I'm talking about at least technology affine people. These topics are regularly the top posts in all the VR related subreddits. And yet 99% of the people who complain, keep buying Vives and Rifts and are salivating at the prospect of Windows 10 Headsets and thing Playstation VR is a good thing.
    That just demonstrates that reddit is full of trolls, not anything else.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 January 2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      VR can be good for numerous things, but not for gaming, on the long run at least. Reason is the same why Kinect etc. failed. People want to sit and relax while playing games, not run and jump around. You can do that in real life better.
      So explain with the nintendo wii is a giant success.

The kinect failed because its microsoft. Microsoft, yet again, has a ground breaking HW about a decade before some other company does it for real. No one buys it because either its not used to its full potential, the implementation is horrible, or its not marketed correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
        VR in X-Plane or Flightgear must be cool, but I wait for the next generation with higher resolution and cheaper devices.
        That's what I expected but one user who tried it didn't like it: if I remember its criticisms where that 1)the helmet are not confortable enough for long period of use 2)they cut you out of your environment 3)the resolution was way too low.

Personally I think that if you're going to do a 'combat flight sim' you could also get nauseous: your eyes tell you you're doing a hard turn, your hear feel nothing --> conflict.

Also note that higher resolution imply also the need of more powerful GPUs so "cheaper" is going to take a long time.

Last edited by renox; 18 January 2017, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X