Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
    I should point out a typo;

The R9 Fury was actually 2.4x as fast in the new test.
    Does "times this - times that" even matter in this case, as Fury was even slower than RX 480 before on Low... those who start from zero normaly would see largest improvment
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      Certainly there aren't any developers ignoring lower end cards.
      Developers tend to not even have really low end cards, neither lower end APUs nor even low end CPUs, etc...

They won't ignore bug reports of course from people with those, but that is far from being reality as not everybody has same hardware all the time. So sometimes there are tendency that thing on this one plays like that but on that one the opposite... Just like this one developer tested on Tonga, Fury show steady and even bigger improvement, meanwhile Polaris shows mixed results.

I also think that complaining is fine, as it might push things into constructive direction. On the other hand praising something in whole when you clearly has bad cases is good for nothing

Comment

Well, this game runs like crap on nvidia too. The problem here is Feral, not porting the game using Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Well, this game runs like crap on nvidia too. The problem here is Feral, not porting the game using Vulkan.
          I think it's more than Vulkan, it's Feral and their poor ports. Especially since I don't have issues with Aspyr's ports on an AMD GPU. It's good that we are getting ports but I'd rather have ports that are actually playable than something half-assed. Right?

Comment

How many companies are using Vulkan? Valve, with their practically limitless resources, on Dota 2. Id, who have a history of pushing the technology envelope, with Doom 2016. And a couple of indies. That's all I can think of.

You obviously don't code. If you did you'd know that devs build a body of reusable code over time, and also experience with a particular technology matters. Ferel are experienced with porting Windows/Direct X stuff to Linux/OpenGL. Doing the same with Deus Ex was probably the sensible thing to do. Porting to Vulkan would be a massive undertaking as they would have had to write a lot more code, develop and/or get used to a whole host of new tools and work with a technology that isn't mature (in the sense that there isn't a big body of resources around Vulkan yet).

Look what happened with Quantum Break, the DX11 version ran better than the DX12 version, with little or no difference in the visuals. That's because the devs had a lot of experience with DX11 and probably had a body of optimised code from previous games. But MS forced them to do a DX12 version because of their Windows Store aspirations. Then, when they relented and greenlit a Steam version, a DX11 version came out which performed better. What I'm saying is, even if Ferel did a Vulkan version, it wouldn't necessarily be the magic bullet for performance you'd be expecting.

Comment

Cool, it seems the proprietary nvidia driver is now the most natural benchmark for radeonsi. A year ago this article would only compare amd with amd. Way to go! (I have a happy kid here who just got a copy of Deus ex from me, with zen coming, maybe even I will get a new gaming rig).

Comment

This latest commit gave my R9 390 a performance boost similar to that of the Fury in this article, going from 15.4 FPS to 36.5 FPS on Low settings while it went from 12.5 to 29.5 on Ultra. Unfortunately however, it appears to exhibit a very noticable stutter once every 0.5-2 seconds. But exciting to see large improvements like this either way!

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                  Cool, it seems the proprietary nvidia driver is now the most natural benchmark for radeonsi. A year ago this article would only compare amd with amd. Way to go! (I have a happy kid here who just got a copy of Deus ex from me, with zen coming, maybe even I will get a new gaming rig).
                  Comparing AMD to AMD is no competition. It makes no sense. We know a 480 being faster than a 470 without any kind of benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

I think it's more than Vulkan, it's Feral and their poor ports. Especially since I don't have issues with Aspyr's ports on an AMD GPU. It's good that we are getting ports but I'd rather have ports that are actually playable than something half-assed. Right?
                    I don't have Deus Ex but I do have Tomb Raider 2013 and Mad Max and both perform brilliantly, so before you judge their ports from one very demanding game you'd better checked the other ports first.

Comment

Comparing AMD to AMD is no competition. It makes no sense. We know a 480 being faster than a 470 without any kind of benchmarks.
                      I think he means AMD binary driver to AMD Open Source driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X