Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 Tests On Deus Ex: Mankind Divided With Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 Tests On Deus Ex: Mankind Divided With Ubuntu 16.04

    Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 Tests On Deus Ex: Mankind Divided With Ubuntu 16.04

    Earlier this month when Feral released Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux, the game wasn't launching with AMDGPU-PRO during my testing on Ubuntu 16.10. The game didn't start at all and would crash immediately -- unlike the NVIDIA binary driver on the same system or when ultimately running AMDGPU+RadeonSI tests for this game. Under Ubuntu 16.04 with AMDGPU-PRO 16.40, I've now got the game running...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-16.40-Deus-MD

  • #2
    Thanks for the test! The price performance ratio looks quite close already. When radeonsi passes the PRO driver in this game, we will actually have an open source driver competitive with Nvidias blob on a AAA title. I even expect that will happen sometime around Christmas given the fantastic achievements from the developers this year. These are very interesting times :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for testing with the R290 Michael. I've sure missed it a lot.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        Thank you for testing with the R290 Michael. I've sure missed it a lot.
        It's not regressed on AMDGPU-PRO but last check my R9 290 is still borked on the mainline AMDGPU.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          What could be the bottleneck on AMD's driver or what is that nvidia driver is doing to achieve a better perf?

          It is clear on the 4K resolution that AMD's GPU can go further as the R9 Fury is achieving a similar perf as GTX 980

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            What could be the bottleneck on AMD's driver or what is that nvidia driver is doing to achieve a better perf?

            It is clear on the 4K resolution that AMD's GPU can go further as the R9 Fury is achieving a similar perf as GTX 980
            NVidia is either changing states less (very possible because the hardware design is closer to OpenGL while AMD might need to translate certain things to a more DX11-based hardware design) or they are more efficient at changing states using less CPU power. That's definitely been proven the case many times in the past - any time the driver has to validate stuff, NVidia does it faster (or it validates fewer things).

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the test!
              It seems even AMDGPU-PRO suffers from some cpu overhead compared to NVidia but the performance is still very reasonable (at least for RX 470/480).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                It's not regressed on AMDGPU-PRO but last check my R9 290 is still borked on the mainline AMDGPU.
                Too bad no one ever bothered providing a bisection so the problem could get fixed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gurv View Post
                  It seems even AMDGPU-PRO suffers from some cpu overhead compared to NVidia but the performance is still very reasonable (at least for RX 470/480).
                  Performance may seem reasonable, but the low settings are really quite bad. So bad, that I would have expected it to run much quicker on any gpu. That probably says more about the Windows port though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                    Thanks for the test! The price performance ratio looks quite close already. When radeonsi passes the PRO driver in this game, we will actually have an open source driver competitive with Nvidias blob on a AAA title. I even expect that will happen sometime around Christmas given the fantastic achievements from the developers this year. These are very interesting times :-)
                    Truly wonderful the mind of a fanboy is.
                    You do realize radeonsi is playing catch-up to AMDGPU-PRO and in turn AMDGPU-PRO is the same turd that could catch up to Nvidia in over decade? I'm not saying that's not gonna change, but right now, you're looking at the exact, old driver's performance.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X