No announcement yet.

Mad Max Coming To Linux, NVIDIA Graphics Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've given Feral some shit about being NVidia only in the past, but to be fair to them I saw a radeonsi patch committed earlier this week from them. The initial problem was reported by them, along with a simple example testcase, and finally the patch to fix it.

That's pretty impressive, and is more than I'd expect from a game porter to actually submit the fix.

So bravo to them, and hopefully soon the last issues they have will all be fixed up and they can officially say they support Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Results for Lego HP years 1-4 (menu screen):

windows 10: 450 FPS
      wine-1.9.20 + mesa-git: 85 FPS

Please send a piece of evidence supporting your claim there is no drawback in Mesa.
      Are you using the Nine backend? Otherwise you're just showing the drawbacks in DX -> GL translation layer inside WINE.

Comment

This is really good games from todays perspective.. I finished it, not expect good story, but switching between on foot and car combat is great, also pacing is good, car tuning is good - i mean upgrades - at the end of games you are quite killing machine, quests are very generic - but overall atmosphere is very good and there is more.. Chumbucket is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by iBloodLust View Post
          and nvidia doesn't use game-specific profiles per game which can break running the game's renderer when the developers decide to include major changes to it?
          I'm not aware of any Linux games with such profiles. In the extremely rare cases where the driver manipulates the shaders or queue, these changes are obviously disabled once the checksum of the executable changes.

Mesa OpenGL requires games to coalesce OpenGL commands into a small number of calls(1) in order to achieve high FPS. Nvidia drivers are much better optimized in this respect.

This drawback of Mesa is causing some Linux game developers to describe games as-if they were designed to support just Nvidia GPUs.
          The relative cost of certain API calls is too high in Mesa(2).
          Your two explanations does not match. First it's the sheer number of (small) API calls which is the problem, then secondly it's the cost of certain API calls, which is it?

Please also elaborate why games should be designed to work around the quirks in a non-native driver like Mesa?
          Games and other software should be designed according to the spec, not specific drivers. If a driver suffers from this, then the driver needs to be overhauled or discarded.

Comment

I tested the following configurations (wine-1.9.20 use flags in Gentoo Linux):
            • -d3d9 -staging
            • +d3d9
            • +staging
            • +d3d9 +staging
            That didn't answer my question. I don't even know if Nine is properly setup in the Gentoo WINE ebuild, let alone the version of Mesa you have.

Comment

I tested the following configurations (wine-1.9.20 use flags in Gentoo Linux):
              • -d3d9 -staging
              • +d3d9
              • +staging
              • +d3d9 +staging
              Have you enabled Gallium Nine in winecfg?

Comment

Good point.

After enabling it in winecfg, the menu screen in the game I mentioned runs at ~350 FPS. Without Gallium Nine in winecfg: ~100 FPS.
                What fps does run

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 vblank_mode=0 glxgears -fullscreen

for you ?

Gallium Nine is missing an optimization when fps > 60.

If the optimization would be enough to reach 450 for your game menu, it'd need the glxgears command to run at 1600 fps at least.

EDIT: I'm probably miscalculating, must be 3200 fps instead. Not sure.
                Last edited by mannerov; 07 October 2016, 03:55 AM.

Comment

windows 10: 450 FPS
                  wine-1.9.20 + mesa-git: 85 FPS
                  i said nine

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

That is an interresting question I would ask to Valve: how can the Linux porter get retributed correctly.

Is the editor paying 1-shot to Feral for the work and get it back from sells?
                    Is Feral earning for every game sold whatever the OS?
                    Is Feral earning for every game installed on Linux?
                    and so on...

Anyone knows?
                    1. buy from linux client. 2. run on linux only during week after sale. 3. porter gets its share.
                    there is no other way

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      1. buy from linux client. 2. run on linux only during week after sale. 3. porter gets its share.
                      there is no other way
                      Oups.. I always buy games on the internet site... Gotta fix that thx.

Comment

Working...
                      X