Steam's Survey Reports Another Drop For Linux Gamers In June 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong title, corrected below:

Steam Survey Reports Shit Numbers Again, World Is Ending.

Comment

I've got the survey many times on both windows and linux. Just got it an hour ago and I'm using KDE NEON on a crappy laptop to buy games that I plan on playing on my Zotac Nen Steam OS when it gets here next week.

Comment

Where's my Fallout 4 and Dark Souls 3? What about Doom 2016? Valve, you know what must be done.

Comment

Does anybody find this to be unusual or out of line. The numbers pretty much fit what I would expect for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            I must be special, I get the Survey about once every two months. Steam isn't a benchmark of Linux Gamers, quite an army of Penguins use other services, like GOG for their Gaming needs and choose to stay far away from Steam.
            Ah you mean from the same people that wont release their game for linux, and the one game that they did relase for linux used a shitty emulator.

Comment

Originally posted by vitalif View Post
              Steam is mostly a pile of indie crap, 99% games are not even what I count as games... It HIGHLY needs a search filter like "only AAA" or so
              There are a bunch of good indie games. Not all of them are "crap".

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                At least Linux Desktop market share go above 2% first time in history

https://www.netmarketshare.com/repor...&qptimeframe=M
                The shitty steam survey isnt the only problem. Another factor is that since linux is so small it just doesnt grow as fast as steam overall is growing. It would be nice to see those stats instead.

Comment

meanwhile, steam is now at 170 million users number. at start of '15 it was at 110 if i remember properly. the fact that % slightly dropped is still increase

Comment

This is a BS survey. It seems to frequently appear when installing Steam into a new WINEPREFIX environment, which is the recommended and supported way to install Wine software. I get the survey probably 10x+ under Wine than I do my native Steam, because I happen to have about 100 WINEPREFIX environments with a unique Steam installation in each one.

Heck, I just finished the CoD: World at War single player campaign last night under Wine (which I just bought during the sale). And I'm surely not the only one on GNU/Linux who uses Wine a lot.

Also, FWIW, I've purchased many more GNU/Linux titles throughout the current Steam sale than I have Windows. Most of the Windows purchases I made were just RockSmith DLCs. I don't even dual-boot with Windows these days, or even have it on either of my laptops. I'm completely Windows free these days, but I still help out the Wine project by frequently testing my games against new Wine releases and reporting bugs and submitting appdb entries. But I bet none of that is reflected in that silly survey.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                      I've got the survey twice on my Linux machines and never on my Windows game box. Don't start this BS again.
                      This is a legitimate BS. I asked 15 friends, running Windows Steam or Linux Steam: Windows users have the survey every 2-3 weeks, Linux users every 2-3 months... or never.

Ask around you or on this forum. You are the exception here.

By doing this and not counting SteamOS Valve is harming Linux ecosystem a lot, no sane game studio would make a native game for 1% users... Only companies like Feral will port it, or just don't care about...

Comment

Working...
                      X