No announcement yet.

Steam's Survey Reports Another Drop For Linux Gamers In June 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I have the same thing with that survey, maybe seen it once in 5 years or so on Linux, several times on W32.
    Second: Steam has horrible dependencies on strange old 32bit libs, brings them bundled and more so for 6 months I didn't get that darn thing to run. So no access to my (Steam bound) games in Linux (taught me the old lesson I already learned about DRM again). Okay, I could set up a computer / partition with Ubunutu or SteamOS but I had not time for that due to workload. I hope they'll fix that client, soon.
    And besides that: It's a matter of total installs vs. percentage and of course the availability of platform independent titles. Or at least good (!) ports (not those things that loose 80% fps on the same HW due to being bound by an inefficient wrapper).
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I have similar number of surveys on Linux and on Windows. But I only fill only these on the Linux, because now I play on Windows only last game, Europa Universalis IV, which has linux port, but unfortunatelly with broken crossplatform multiplayer.

Comment

Steam is mostly a pile of indie crap, 99% games are not even what I count as games... It HIGHLY needs a search filter like "only AAA" or so

Comment

Never seen it and I've been using Steam more than ever lately. That's set to increase too now I have my 480!

Comment

Is there a general decrease on gaming? what about the other platforms?

Comment

I got just got my survey again, which keeps it at about one per year for me. I suspect that the surveys may only be valid for a short time. So if you start up the steam client daily, you may see more than if you do that once a week.

Obviously it's a hardware survey, it's doesn't count the number of hours player or the amount of money spent. In fact, the interesting statistics that it gives is that Linux users generally run much more powerful machines. Which suggests that they have more cash to spend. If you combine that with the more limited choice, sales numbers may actually exceed this by quite a bit. But since no developer talks about it, Steam may not allow this information to go public.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                Is there a general decrease on gaming?
                I would say summer season usual decrease, nothing unusual... As Northern Hemisphere heated it a most

Last edited by dungeon; 02 July 2016, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I must be special, I get the Survey about once every two months. Steam isn't a benchmark of Linux Gamers, quite an army of Penguins use other services, like GOG for their Gaming needs and choose to stay far away from Steam.

Comment

I've got this survey a few times, but I was using Wine at the time so it showed WINE as my OS.... Not sure but they probably ditch that info also.

Comment

Of course it's dropping. Linux still sucks for gaming. Zero third-party support for gaming tools, sub-par ports (many games perform worse or lack graphics features) and huge input lag.

Hate to say it, but Linux desktop is not suitable for "core" gaming.

Comment

Working...
                      X