Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Importance Of Benchmark Automation & Why I Hate Running Linux Games Manually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
    Michael, as a young indie game dev shop, how exactly would you like something like "./mygame --benchmark" to behave? I'm thinking about this from the context of Skyfire, the game we are developing, which I would love to release on Linux first (all prototypes are available for free on Linux, Mac, and Windows): https://agileperception.com/skyfire We're using Unreal Engine 4, if that makes any difference.

My biggest obstacle on Linux, currently, is that I don't own a Linux desktop. We have Linux servers, naturally, but nothing with a real graphics card. So I cross-package a Linux build (native packaging for UE4 requires a real graphics card) from a Windows VM on my Mac Pro workstation.
    Basically just a way to be able to automatically fire up the game (and ideally CLI switches or at least some config file I can modify, to specify the resolution and other settings), run the test without needing any interaction, and to then dump the results to either the standard output or a file.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
      Michael, as a young indie game dev shop, how exactly would you like something like "./mygame --benchmark" to behave? I'm thinking about this from the context of Skyfire, the game we are developing, which I would love to release on Linux first (all prototypes are available for free on Linux, Mac, and Windows): https://agileperception.com/skyfire We're using Unreal Engine 4, if that makes any difference.

My biggest obstacle on Linux, currently, is that I don't own a Linux desktop. We have Linux servers, naturally, but nothing with a real graphics card. So I cross-package a Linux build (native packaging for UE4 requires a real graphics card) from a Windows VM on my Mac Pro workstation.
      You realize that you can easily install Linux to your Mac?
      Either through a VM or dual boot. No destruction to your current desktop required

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post

I can understand both sides of the argument. On Michael's side it really boils down to manpower.
        On the other side of the spectrum, the following [H]ardOCP article should be a must-read for anyone interested in hardware benchmarks IMO. Canned benchmarks have the inherent risk of merely benchmarking benchmark-"optimized" drivers.

Ironically enough, OpenBenchmarking should be a great platform to crowd-source benchmarks. Sure, the hardware configurations vary wildly, but with enough data, one should be able to extrapolate results, correct?

In the Time section he said:
        ...but this is actually not even close to being the most important reason for test/benchmark automation...
        And then goes on to eight other reasons that don't have to do with manpower.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Basically just a way to be able to automatically fire up the game (and ideally CLI switches or at least some config file I can modify, to specify the resolution and other settings), run the test without needing any interaction, and to then dump the results to either the standard output or a file.

What kind of information would you like in the results?

Comment

Originally posted by CleanCut
            What kind of information would you like in the results?
            Most profiles have min/avg/max fps, some also expose the per-frame frame times.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Most profiles have min/avg/max fps, some also expose the per-frame frame times.
              Great, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

In the Time section he said:

And then goes on to eight other reasons that don't have to do with manpower.
                And maybe I should stop glossing over articles... The problem with canned benchmarks still stands though. Though now it might even infect hardware design too. Case in point, the gtx 1080.
                Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 07 June 2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  And maybe I should stop glossing over articles... The problem with canned benchmarks still stands though. Though now it might even infect hardware design too. Case in point, the gtx 1080.
                  I wouldn't argue with that, but the problems that he outlined exist everywhere.
                  Apitrace seems like the way to go (and he uses it) as that lets you reliably reproduce an arbitrary source of gameplay, but apitrace has requirements that make it a non-optimal solution (you really need the full call stack as well).

Comment

Working...
                  X