Valve's Steam Survey Shows Linux Gaming Fall To One Of The Lowest Levels Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use VirtualBox, no need for windows. For flashing mediatek android phones, you need 32-bit windows pc like Vista. DX11 games are just recycled DX9 games, no sense to buy.
    SP Flash Tool works in Linux. I've flashed a MediaTek phone with that.

SP flash tool download - SP Flash Tool v5.1924 is the latest version that can flash Stock ROM, Custom recovery for your MTK based android phone. SPFLASH tool comes as free-ware.

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
      From 0,88% to 0,84%... sounds like one dude uninstalled linux lol.
      Actually, I uninstalled steam

Comment

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post

Valve takes 30% of the sales on steam. If they were indeed making a "discount" for multiplatform games, that would motivate most of them to port them from the start.
        I was also quite disappointed by some of the ports, due to lacking graphics options, or simply by poor performances. The drivers are better than ever now, but still far from those of windows. I might go for the Rx480 just because ATI is making huge effort to go full open source. That, even though I am fckd and cannot upgrade my ubuntu to keep using closed source GCN1.0 drivers.
        Actually, that's the best idea I've heard on how to grow Linux gaming market share yet. Say Valve lowered their cut to 15% for every game that had a Linux port. Linux would overnight have about 16% market share in economical terms. That would give even AAA title publishers something to think really hard about. And Valve would still make a profit..

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yes he wrote a lot of bad programs, anyway the beginning was right : the day MS Office and Photoshop get a native Linux version you will instantly x2 or x3 the number of users.
          Those 2 have just no equivalent program on Linux, MS Office is used by 1 billion people daily...

On the server side : my work is to manage Windows servers (from a Linux workstation because I like it) and I agree a lot of features are missing on Linux.
          Including : shadow copy (/= backup) because with it Windows handles per user recovery in the filemanager, domains to simplify management of mass computers and servers, user managements (not only user/group, a REAL one), strategies (including security features, configuration, software installation etc.).

(And once again no flame: I only have Linux machines at home because I think it is easiest to manage as a workstation.)
          Yes, MS Office has an equivalent. It was called OpenOffice and is now known as LibreOffice. It's not because you choose to ignore it that it's not a worthy equivalent.
          Actually, I ditched Windows in the first place because I couldn't get MS Office to format correctly a complex document (thesis). I was spending more time on formatting sections, sections headers or titles, sections page numbering, headings and the table of contents update than I was actually writing. It got me pissed off to such an extent I eventually switched to OpenOffice (2.4 got released at the time, and was a real breakthrough) thus full Linux and could finish my thesis by not caring about formatting since it was more intuitive on OOo. I've never looked back. Even at work, I keep installing LO on my (sadly) Windows machines for personal use, even though I'm an advanced MS Office user, but there's nothing in the world that can make me angrier (except Real Madrid winning) than MS Office can once in a while. To the point I could be the guy in a meme throwing its screen through a window. It just can't handle complex documents at all in a natural way.

Thus, yes, LibreOffice is a strong equivalent to MS Office, and even better in my opinion.

Comment

Valve needs to raid Bethesda Studio's main office and force them to make Linux ports of their games :-)

Skyrim and Fallout4 on Linux, what a dream that would be!.....

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I've used Linux/Unix for over 20 years and I just don't really understand the "need" for Office and Photoshop. I've used these programs on occasion and I think they are awful. Just clunky things that are hard to work with. Even the idea of Office doesn't make sense to me, you want something everyone can read, use an open format.. and if you want something that HAS to look the same way on ever ones computer then your using the wrong thing anyhow, you want a PDF for that.

I really don't see people paying for Office on Linux.. I think its a joke.
              Codeweaver is a company living mainly from Office and Photoshop under Linux so believe me there is a business here.

The facts are:

- Calc and Writer are ok, but Impress is far, far away from Powerpoint and compatibility is pretty bad with .pstx

- there is no equivalent to Outlook in the open source world. There are good softwares (KMail, Evolution, Thunderbird) but they do not have Exchange compatilibilty (some tools exists but they are far to be stable/usable for a business). The Outlook/Exchange combo is now the primary productivity tool in the world

- No product is actually compatible with Adobe ones, some can open files in their format (PDF and PSD mainly) but none can write them. The problem is : the large majority of business in the world "decided" to use Photoshop and Adobe Writer so as long we cannot at least modify those documents Linux is out of office business
              (by "decided" I mean that schools/university have free/cheap licences so that they keep forming students with them and nothing else).

Once again I work 100% on OSS and manage Windows servers and workstation, and I dream about all my company full Linux but today this is impossible, in the media/management/events you have to communicate instantly in the "format of majority".

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Yes, MS Office has an equivalent. It was called OpenOffice and is now known as LibreOffice. It's not because you choose to ignore it that it's not a worthy equivalent.
                Thus, yes, LibreOffice is a strong equivalent to MS Office, and even better in my opinion.
                I work 100% on OpenOffice/LibreOffice at work and at home since 10 years and this is not equivalent. Read my last post for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazprom View Post

Actually, that's the best idea I've heard on how to grow Linux gaming market share yet. Say Valve lowered their cut to 15% for every game that had a Linux port. Linux would overnight have about 16% market share in economical terms. That would give even AAA title publishers something to think really hard about. And Valve would still make a profit..
                  In this case they would have to reject the multiplatform system (buy on Linux, play on Windows and vice versa), which is imo one of their best strenght.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I work 100% on OpenOffice/LibreOffice at work and at home since 10 years and this is not equivalent. Read my last post for details.
                    I just don't agree with your statement. I also presented my thesis and some other works with Impress some 8 years ago, and it worked really great. I guess it has even been improved since.

Regarding Outlook, it's sort of true, but you can overcome this with Notes. We were using it in my previous mission (on Windows) and it worked just fine for everybody. It was obviously not integrated to MS Office but that was just fine. I could list some drawbacks against Outlook (less font formatting, no tables, outdated UI) but also some advantages, such as the booking of a meeting + room that is much easier and more powerful on Notes. I guess the Linux version should live up to this and satisfy most users.

On PDFs, I'm not aware of a way to make up for the lack of Adobe Reader, though IRL in any of my mission we've barely used PDF editing anyway, but I'm aware it has real use cases in different fields of activity.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 02 June 2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      It's not biased. It only comes up when you log in, at random.

The bias is when people run the Windows version of the steam client in Linux, or Linux users who remain logged in for weeks on end.
                      I'm not at all sure about that. I actually shut down my machine at night, so I log into Steam at least several times a week, usually every day. And for quite a while now I've been doing it at least 95% Linux (rotating between Alien:Isolation, Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, XCOM: Enemy Unknown; a little Sublevel Zero and Monstrum thrown in). I've had Steam installed on Linux since it was released in 2013, and never had the Wine version.

And yet, I've seen the Steam survey on Linux *twice*. But I've had it come up at least five times on Windows, despite using that platform far less. I've seen multiple reports of similar behavior elsewhere. I wonder if there's a random-number-handling bug or something in the Linux client; that kind of thing is easy to do if you're not careful.

Comment

Working...
                      X