Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomb Raider Benchmarks On Linux With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tomb Raider Benchmarks On Linux With NVIDIA Graphics

    Phoronix: Tomb Raider Benchmarks On Linux With NVIDIA Graphics

    With Feral Interactive releasing Tomb Raider for Linux, three years after the premiere of the Windows port, many have been wondering about the Linux performance particularly with regards to the graphics driver situation. Here are our initial benchmarks of Feral's port of Tomb Raider on Ubuntu Linux with using NVIDIA graphics. More tests to follow.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23098

  • #2
    comparing these to the nvidia windows drivers would be helpful.

    Comment


    • #3
      1080P at high graphics settings for GTX 960. Not bad. I might upgrade to a better graphics card sometime in the near future, although I won't be gaming at 4K. Not only does it depend on performance, but it could also depend on how large or small the HUD/text elements are. For example, in Bioshock Infinite and at 1080P, the text in a 27" monitor is too small. Bring the resolution down to 720p, and the text is large enough for me to read and see the health bar. I am visually impaired, so it would only make sense to run at low resolution for gaming unless game developers could redesign the HUD so that it shows exactly the same size regardless of screen resolution.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
        comparing these to the nvidia windows drivers would be helpful.
        Unlikely unless there's new subscribers or tips resulting from it, considering the manual wreck of testing currently due to the CLI switches breaking.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          On Windows I get 60fps most of the time at 1440p (downscaled to 1080p) in my Radeon 290x. I'm downloading the Linux version now, I'll try it with mesa and see how it works.

          Comment


          • #6
            According to this here:

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6BetgM3aA

            Low, Average, High:

            Native: 39.4, 62.9, 54.4
            Wine Gallium Nine: 43.2, 71, 63.7
            Windows: 68, 100, 85.3

            This looks to mean that the game runs faster in Wine with G9 than native with RadeonSI.

            IMO, if a game can run this well in Wine, why put resources into making a port?

            I say make ports of games that require DirectX 11 or 12 technologies, which don't work in Wine yet.
            Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 04-27-2016, 05:21 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              running it on a gtx 680 on ultra settings.i plan on doing more tests with other games that get released.
               

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by phoronix
                Keep in mind for these data points that this is from the synthetic benchmark mode and not necessarily representative of actual game-play for Tomb Raider on Linux."
                Mesa radeonsi:

                Actual gameplay performance is about 1/2 of the built-in benchmark performance, 1/4 in the forest scenes.

                CPU usage seems to be about 200%, so more than 3 CPU cores will have most likely very little effect on performance.

                Comment


                • #9
                  TressFX is not available with the dx9 renderer. Perhaps some other effects as well ?

                  Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  According to this here:

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6BetgM3aA

                  Low, Average, High:

                  Native: 39.4, 62.9, 54.4
                  Wine Gallium Nine: 43.2, 71, 63.7
                  Windows: 68, 100, 85.3

                  This looks to mean that the game runs faster in Wine with G9 than native with RadeonSI.

                  IMO, if a game can run this well in Wine, why put resources into making a port?

                  I say make ports of games that require DirectX 11 or 12 technologies, which don't work in Wine yet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

                    Mesa radeonsi:

                    Actual gameplay performance is about 1/2 of the built-in benchmark performance, 1/4 in the forest scenes.

                    CPU usage seems to be about 200%, so more than 3 CPU cores will have most likely very little effect on performance.
                    Try with gallium nine ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X