Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonlord
    replied
    @Svartalf: Yeah that's right. I chose a Singleton only as an example. I have seen people writing cluster-fucked code more ugly than spaghetti sent through a mill because they did not know/remember/whatever basic data structures or algorithms. For me coding is art. Everyone can write a program which works more or less but writing good code which runs good, looks good ( aka "self documenting code" ), is highly maintainable and extensible... that's an art... and I'm proud of being a real hacker ( and I hate un-artsy code :P ). Anyways, better not get derailed once again

@me262: Failing not planed? Something not all can do? Game-Dev is unfortunately no more the elite section it had been once. Granted the real elite ones are far and few in between but just look around the game development scene. Failing is an ever present threat there. I would really take getting turned down even if you are good into consideration. Better safe than sorry

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    Ah, but if you were given it, the MS vote already has been sent, so why not subvert the hardware?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Can't you get Linux on an X-Box(-360)?
    The answer would be "yes"- but like buying Windows titles contributes to making more Windows titles...

A purchase of any X-Box product translates into more money in MS' pockets to do the things we don't like to us and sends a vote that you WANT that sort of thing.

Even buying an X-Box to put Linux on it is counterproductive.

Leave a comment:

• SlackerTD
    replied
    Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Do you play on linux only right now?
    I was only speaking of the PC in this case... there is also a Wii, PS2, DS & PSP in this house. XP is on my system, but I don't do any gaming in Windows.

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    Can't you get Linux on an X-Box(-360)?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    I think that his remarks would indicate that thinking... Me, I will only play if it's on Wii, PS2, or Linux. I'm still fence-sitting on the PS3 and there's no way you could convince me to buy an X-Box/X-Box 360, new or used. If someone gave me one, it'd just get hacked up to be something clean other than it's original purpose, unable to boot titles.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Originally posted by SlackerTD View Post
    I voted Maybe as once the game is out, I need to find out if I like the game & that it can run on my system specs (not sure on this one). How long it takes to come out doesn't matter to me. I'll simply look at it as another Linux game I can play.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Originally posted by me262 View Post
    Yeah. Sorry about that. This tangent was my fault.

Game dev I'm sure won't my only talent. Linux server / IT administration is another, home theater assembly. I can build PS3's for a lot cheaper. There's a lot of options I can go with if I fail to get a grip in the industry, but I don't plan on failing though. They key I've always heard is to do something that no one else can, and then they can say "oh look, he does this, let's hire him so we can include that!" (Then again, that's contract work I'm sure).

Heh. Don't try to count the thread drifts on the Porting thread, or blood will shoot out your nose.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
    Ah, it's k man, interesting subjects you brought into the thread. I myself want to get into the game industry too, and i dont plan on failing either.

Leave a comment:

• SlackerTD
    replied
    I voted Maybe as once the game is out, I need to find out if I like the game & that it can run on my system specs (not sure on this one). How long it takes to come out doesn't matter to me. I'll simply look at it as another Linux game I can play.

Leave a comment:

• me262
    replied
    Yeah. Sorry about that. This tangent was my fault.

Game dev I'm sure won't my only talent. Linux server / IT administration is another, home theater assembly. I can build PS3's for a lot cheaper. There's a lot of options I can go with if I fail to get a grip in the industry, but I don't plan on failing though. They key I've always heard is to do something that no one else can, and then they can say "oh look, he does this, let's hire him so we can include that!" (Then again, that's contract work I'm sure).

Heh. Don't try to count the thread drifts on the Porting thread, or blood will shoot out your nose.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X