Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Months And Still No UT3 Linux Client

Phoronix: 9 Months And Still No UT3 Linux Client

It's been exactly nine months (or 274 days) since Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC was released. It was also exactly one year when we confirmed that UT3 would be released for Linux via a posting by Epic's VP, Mark Rein.However, last November when it was time for this much-anticipated first person shooter to be released, the Linux demo was MIA and the UT3 Linux server was promised in time for the game's release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Digg it!

Comment

It goes without saying that this has been handled badly. I can't imagine what's taking them so long. Maybe they're trying extra hard to make sure everything is right. It would be nice for a piece of commercial Linux software to get that extra bit of QA that is so often missing but still... 9 months? I'm glad that there's still at least a glimmer of hope. In any case, I won't be able to play it until the Radeon R600 driver is ready.

Comment

This is a lot like how they promised a demo for the original Unreal but never delivered.

At least I don't think they did.

I'm still rather bitter about that.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
          This is a lot like how they promised a demo for the original Unreal but never delivered.

At least I don't think they did.

I'm still rather bitter about that.
          It's probably "still being worked on" too.

Comment

Do we care? Are we caring about this now?

I played the demo on windows. It's unremarkable in every way.

Comment

Probably it is not coming at all. There should be a demo or something at least.

Comment

My very personal opinion is:
                If they don't want to make client for me, i'll not pay for the game.
                I played demo on windows, it was nice, but i wont reboot to play it.
                ET and ETQW providing enough online fun.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
                  I know it doesn't make it okay but it is possible to play that on Linux if you also have UT. I recently did some work to make it compatible with UT451 and fixed some nasty bugs. My work is available for Gentoo Linux but unfortunately it hasn't been committed to the tree yet.

Comment

Erm... you get things into the tree? Didn't manage this so far. Had to put my stuff in the Sunrise overlay ( pigs! )

Comment

Working...
                    X