Steam Linux Usage Pulled Back A Bit In December: 0.97%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post
    Stupid question. How came that steam is publishing a survey, if they could publish exact usage statistics. Even if they don't collect them, they should be able to tell what games have been bought for which platform, right?
    Well, when I bough hacknet, there was no linux port. Now there is. How would you count that then? And I would agree assuming Valve internally knows what games have been downloaded for which platform.

And it seems that due to time zones the survey still runs in Europe when it's published for US. Was in linux this time when it showed up. Yay!
    Lockheed

Comment

Adoption of vulkan will enable game developers to publish more titles to linux platform (SteamOS) natively without much cost or trouble added (as is the case with OpenGL). Vulkan is much easier to debug, they can use shaders written for directx 12 through SPIR-V. Even if they're using their in-house game engine, considering the fact that android will go with vulkan immediately after 1.0, turning their directx engine to vulkan is a great plus for them. I guess this number will rise to minimum 3 percent within the next two years (Steam machines and other linux combined). Apple number will rise too if they dump metal and support vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
        But that brings it's own set of complications with lower performance, font issues...the list goes on.
        Honestly, I'm quite impressed with the performance of the Windows version in WINE. 32-bit prefix, winetricks (for 'allfonts') and most of the problems are gone. The odd rendering irregularity, true enough but those are mostly intermittent and if you disable the Steam overlay, a lot of those issues disappear as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tuqueque View Post
          Unrelated to the article, but, please, please! do not capitalise every single word in titles, tweets or whatever place you post things. I'm not a native english speaker and even I know that! For example, the correct way of writing this article's title would be: "Steam Linux usage pulled back a bit in December: 0.97%"

You're supposed to have experience as a writer and probably a native english speaker, do not fall on those hideous bad grammar habits. I like most of your articles, but, man, don't underestimate your readers with clickbaits like "Microsoft Blocks Linux Game Port From Happening" or these silly grammar stuff.
          Actually you are incorrect and correct. It all depends on what style you subscribe to, as there are more than one generally accepted rule for capitalization of articles/stories/papers.

Personally I don't like the style you suggest, but it one of a few that are considered as correct and I would never post a comment such as yours in a comment section of a blog/article you publish.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
            one generally accepted rule for capitalization of articles/stories/papers.
            'lol' is a generally accepted expression for laughter but, show me one dictionary that actually lists it as an actual word as opposed to merely what it is -- an abbreviation. Point being -- Generally accepted is not the same as gramatically correct. Regarding the matter at hand, the capitalization used in the title of the article in question I too find somewhat off; it looks and feels very unprofessional to capitalize every single word. Almost like yelling without actually yelling; drawing attention to oneself without it being about the contents, just about the appearance.

Comment

Steam for linux is very laggy, have no support for Wayland (only X11), installed games are not multi-user (games and steam are in user's folder), Gaming on linux is poor with Xorg/X11 (some games based on SDL2 can be run in Wayland session, but we not have any good DE, drivers and OS for Wayland) and with Linux filesystem arrangement (division of localizations not for gaming system, such as execs in /usr/bin and libs in /usr/lib and others in /usr/share).
              Today Linux is not for Gaming, but maybe in 5-10 years?
              For Linux gaming at first we need a distributions much like the GoboLinux (or Windows), where all other apps are stable in their folders in /Apps, with their compatible libraries, not divided between many folders in /usr.
              I too using Steam for Windows, because of written at up reasons.

(Sorry for my poor English).

Comment

No Witcher 3? ✓
                No GTA V? ✓
                No Fallout 4? ✓

Something needs to be seriously done to fix this. If developers don't want to port the games then Valve should pay for the ports or develop their own Wine. Cause Wine sucks. I use my HTPC with Mint 17.3 and it's a pain. My Xbox 360 Wireless controller seems to rarely work in Steam games, and Wine is just impossible to use gamepads correctly, cause it keep detecting a analog button as being pushed.

Also my HTPC has a HD 6850 that I'd like to use but AMD dumped it as legacy. I use open source drivers anyway but no OpenGL4.0 support. Not even OpenGL3.3. So I either upgrade the GPU even though I don't need to or pray that OpenGL4.0 support eventually gets added. My HTPC isn't a heavy duty gaming PC but it would be nice to run some modern games on it. It did when it ran Windows.

Comment

Linux doesn't have 99% of Window's AAA and A games, so 1% linux usage is exactly the right number.

Nothing else is needed to be discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                    'lol' is a generally accepted expression for laughter but, show me one dictionary that actually lists it as an actual word as opposed to merely what it is -- an abbreviation. Point being -- Generally accepted is not the same as gramatically correct. Regarding the matter at hand, the capitalization used in the title of the article in question I too find somewhat off; it looks and feels very unprofessional to capitalize every single word. Almost like yelling without actually yelling; drawing attention to oneself without it being about the contents, just about the appearance.
                    Um no... As stated earlier, titles are not sentences they are statements that are names, and just as it is the United States of America not United states of america, or United states of America so too is the capitalization of this article correct.
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 02 January 2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Applying that rule (which indeed is valid, you'll get no argument from me there) to something like the title of an article in a blog is borderline argumentative in my opinion. This is not a country, it is not an epic work of fiction. If anything, the title of a blog article is closer to its first sentence than it is to its 'name'. Still, I suppose you're correct if you're going to be literal about it and since I'm neither in the mood nor passionate enough about the subject (this website itself) to endlessly debate things like this, I'll chose to let you have the last word if you so please. I'll just go write an extension for Chrome that corrects the titles for me because, my eyes!

Comment

Working...
                      X