No announcement yet.

It Will Soon Be Easier To Run The Latest Wine On Popular Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aww how sweet, trying to get modern software into linux distros. while its a noble plan, im sure the distro people will never go for it. after all, unless something is 30 years old, it isnt "stable"

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      I also recall it was a bit of a confusing process to enable CSMT.
      And when did you try Wine Staging CSMT last? As of the moment of this writing, I have yet to see one title actually crash on me as a result of CSMT and enabling it could not be easier, with it being 1 tickbox/checkbox in winecfg.

For the record, the games I tried it with vary from the downright buggy (SW:KOTOR2), to those with overly hungry and poorly optimized engines (Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft) and fairly well optimized but graphics hungry titles (Diablo III) in between. All of which on a PC with no discrete GPU (AMD APU), using the OSS driverstack. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that your attempt to play LoL with Wine Staging CSMT was quite some time ago. No, I did not try LoL myself; DOTA2 however works, albeit with sub-par performance. Once again, its engine. Hence Valve's effort to rewrite it (DOTA2: Reborn).

Comment

It is nice to hear that running legacy windows software on POSIX systems is becoming easier on other Linux distributions (Gentoo users typically could always get the latest wine). This should help migrations off Windows.

In related news, Gentoo users can now install crossover by running `emerge crossover-bin` without having to go to codeweavers' website thanks to a change in its EULA. Crossover starts in trial mode and people are expected to purchase a license to use it long term, but it is cheaper than buying a Windows license and it helps wine development.

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
        And when did you try Wine Staging CSMT last? As of the moment of this writing, I have yet to see one title actually crash on me as a result of CSMT and enabling it could not be easier, with it being 1 tickbox/checkbox in winecfg.

For the record, the games I tried it with vary from the downright buggy (SW:KOTOR2), to those with overly hungry and poorly optimized engines (Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft) and fairly well optimized but graphics hungry titles (Diablo III) in between. All of which on a PC with no discrete GPU (AMD APU), using the OSS driverstack. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that your attempt to play LoL with Wine Staging CSMT was quite some time ago. No, I did not try LoL myself; DOTA2 however works, albeit with sub-par performance. Once again, its engine. Hence Valve's effort to rewrite it (DOTA2: Reborn).
        My understanding is that the CSMT patch is off by default and outside of mainline wine because there is an edge case that the author has not figured out how to handle yet. It works for most things though.
        Last edited by ryao; 15 December 2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is disabled by default but in Wine Staging, it really is a simple tickbox in winecfg. I'm curious about that corner case though because it is my understanding the block is not related to a corner case but instead is related to the incomplete implementation of DX11 in WINE. As in, it is blocked until DX11 is fully supported by WINE.

Comment

Working...
          X