Steam Linux Gaming To Hit 1,700 Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Micket View Post
    [...]I'm happy for more games (though I already have a backlog of around 100 steam games for linux to go through), but I wouldn't really be expecting people to switch over if they played a lot of games.[...]

I'm actually surprised that developers bother. I'm not sure I would if I ran a company.
    So you would contribute to the problem that keeps marathon gamers off of Linux in the shoes of a game company? Y'know, that thing you're "not expecting?"

Break the cycle...

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
    There's a LInux version of Postal 2, what else do you need?
    A Linux version of Half-Life 3.

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
    GTA, Fallout, Witcher 3, Battlefield, Call of Duty, FIFA, Need for Speed, Project Cars...
    Project CARS on Linux would be dope!

Also, Wasteland 2 is available on Linux, in case you want your non-1st-person apocalypse fix!

Comment

Forgive me if I'm a bit out of subject, but has anyone here succeded in activating the hardware acceleration for host in Steam's streaming ?

I tried with both Quick Sync :
      sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver

And NBFVC :
      sudo apt-get install vdpau-va-driver

But still got h264 as encoder, which means software...
      (Google is for once not my friend, I found nothing useful about this subject.)

Comment

(another lost post... sorry if the first re-appears after...)

Has anyone here succeded in having hardware acceleration working in Steam streaming?

I tried with both Quick Sync :
        sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver

and NVidia :
        sudo apt-get install vdpau-va-driver

They are enabled (according to vainfo) but result in software h264 encoding (F6 ingame)

Any info ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ezio21 View Post
          So much indie GAMES!!! YEAH!!!
          For the last decade or so the cost of AAA development has gotten so high that just about everything that's being put out by AAA developers has been bland garbage meant to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Thus I'll take your typical This War of Mine or Minecraft indie title over the latest edition of Call of Duty or FIFA any day.

Sure, the big bland games do sell a lot more copies as they're designed to sell a lot of copies, not to be original in any shape or form. So while not having a lot of AAA games is definitely detrimental to sales, it's not so detrimental to people who do more than just breathe while playing games on Linux.

Edit: Project CARS is apparently coming to Linux at some point and GRID Autosport (which is pretty much the same game) is coming out on Linux this Thursday.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 07 December 2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

(another lost post... sorry if the first re-appears after...)

Has anyone here succeded in having hardware acceleration working in Steam streaming?

I tried with both Quick Sync ( i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver )

and NVidia (vdpau-va-driver)

They are enabled (according to vainfo) but result in software h264 encoding (F6 ingame)

Any info ?

Comment

GRID Autosport is coming this week, so that will break the 1700 mark if nothing else breaks it previous to that. I appreciate all these year old games getting ported over by Feral and VP and Aspyr, and I look forward to more games being ported by them and am glad they're getting a lot of work, but what we really need is more day 1 AAA Linux releases.

Comment

@Passso

I would not use vdpau-va-driver, it causes only problems, it is enough for vlc, but not for much else. Better use directly vdpau accelleration not a vdpau -> vaapi wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  For the last decade or so the cost of AAA development has gotten so high that just about everything that's being put out by AAA developers has been bland garbage meant to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Thus I'll take your typical This War of Mine or Minecraft indie title over the latest edition of Call of Duty or FIFA.

Sure, the big bland games do sell a lot more copies as they're designed to sell a lot of copies, not to be original in any shape or form. So while not having a lot of AAA games is definitely detrimental to sales, it's not so detrimental to people who do more than just breathe while playing games on Linux.

Edit: Project CARS is apparently coming to Linux at some point and GRID Autosport (which is pretty much the same game) is coming out on Linux this Thursday.
                  I'm sorry but that's just unfair. There are plenty AAA titles that are great games - Witcher III, GTAV, Fallout 4 (despite it's technical issues), Battlefield 4 had a terrible start but is currently a great game, the Far Cry series is pretty awesome. You can't generalize and spit on other people's work just because you're in denial Linux doesn't have enough true quality games. Not every big title is AC: Unity or Batman: Arkham Knight. And just because a game launches with a lot of technical issues (which of course is a bad thing), AAA titles bring a lot to the table that indies just cannot - great graphics, great sound, solid actors, more features. You can't just put every game over 40 bucks in the garbage bin.

Comment

To be fair, GTAV and the Far Cry series are not great games, and much less awesome (I can't tell for the others as I didn't try them). Don't get me wrong Far Cry is good and I like to play Skyrim from time to time (even though I'm one of the few that prefer Oblivion). But they are not original and just have better graphics and actors, and that only is not sufficient for them to be Great or Awesome (and don't start with story, plots and everything because it's certainly not better than in most indie games).

Furthermore you can find great sounds and features in a lots of indie games !!!

But I'm open to suggestion so if someone wants to give me names of Great AAA games titles (and not because: OhMyGod that explosion feels so real) I will be eager to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Honestly, i think linux' future looks bright, despite all this GFX and Wayland/Xorg problems. We're sitting on a cusp right now. It'll iron out and when it does, everything will start to come togethor nicely. All this work going in to linux via mantle/vulcan, hardware support via consoles, SteamOS and machines, etc all points to that brighter future for Linux. The bigger picture to me is a convergance of ALL operating systems supporting the same basic protocols and standards for products designed to access as many people as possible (games, music etc) via projects that are opening up like MS' numerous efforts, Apples continual release of projects like Clang. 20 bucks says DX will come to linux (albeit not opensourced) when Wayland+GFX drivers matures. All these companies will be competing on their branding Soon(TM) enough at the consumer level and focusing more then on their specialties like MS' saturation+Office, Apple 'hipster+ease-of-use' factor and linux/BSD serious server and OS flexibility. Sure, they'll be more to it than that, but I dont think it's the dull picture you're painting to be honest. Thing's jsut need a little longer to bake as old and legacy systems die off and everything else matures. the internet wasn't built in a day, BUt it WAS built on *nix
                      You're dreaming, son. DirectX is a proprietary Win API. It's not something you can port, not that there would be any reason to ever do so, as it's the basis of X-Box as well. I remember back in the 90's when RedHat and Mandrake showed up, a lot of people predicted the impending death of Microsoft and the end of Windows. Didn't happen. Not only didn't it happen, the opposite happened. Much more software was written for Windows-based systems, Windows value-added increased exponentially, and Windows server moved aggressively into small business as well as the enterprise. Linux was and is a hobbyist/specialty OS. It was comically unsuitable as a gaming platform then, and remains so now. That's just the hard truth, like it or not. Linux has 1% of the desktop, and 1% it will stay, because nobody in the Linux community has any idea how to change that, or is unwilling to do so. Companies that actually try, like Canonical, or the ill-fated Linspire, are mocked and reviled. The Linux "community" was and is it's own worst enemy. If it wasn't for the UTILITY value of Linux as a free server and specialized OS for science and industry, it would have already become irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X