Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piibii
    replied
    Has anyone managed to get 5.1 surround sound working with this game yet? Or is this another one of those games that can only do stereo on Linux?

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    FOSS driver simply longer supported. Just last week I get bunch of video decoding issues on GeForce 8600M GS - after sleep/wakeup cycle:
    1. Windowed mode playback could be fine, but frame drop in fullscreen mode.
    2. Windowed mode playback could be fine, but tearing in fullscreen mode.
    That was on Kubuntu 15.10 with latest mpv configured to use VDPAU for decoding (vo was tested opengl and vdpau). Toggling compositing off doesn't make difference, but reboot do make a difference. And that was last nVidia driver for this GPU, nVidia not going to fix this issues. nouveau was more unstable here, and honestly I was too lazy to fill reports about nouveau issues because I find VDPAU works fine with proprietary driver, but later I find that "fine" is only until sleep/wakeup. So now I guess I have no choice but fill reports for nouveau, unlike proprietary driver, nouveau at least will be fixed someday.
    Once again I get another proof (at least for me; you are free stick with proprietary drivers, kenjitamura) that it's better to choice hardware with FOSS drivers.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    So umm.... why are all these hardcore "I only buy hardware with FOSS driver support" guys even trying to play proprietary games? There do exist FOSS games and if you're going to exclusively support FOSS supported hardware doesn't it also make sense to exclusively use FOSS games?
    I'm all for commercial software, especially games. I'm not a programmer so access to the code isn't a big deal to me. But it's the other benefits that OSS provides like kernel drivers shipped with the kernel or make flags that disable dependencies or community bug trackers where non-programmers can help contribute. Those are just a few examples. I think people should be able to use whatever software they want, but hardware should be open source. Basically everything that is required to run software from the hardware to the desktop should be open.
    Last edited by duby229; 27 October 2015, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
    Well ... after some fumbling with libraries (since I'm on gentoo), I got it to at least run on radeonsi. And it feels quite well fps-wise even on quite high settings (ultra, anti-aliasing, everything to "on") on my 290X. But ... it got massive problems with lightning and colors (particles and smoke), it's too dark and the particles cycle through all colours (look at the yellow smoke through the door):
    this might help you. since SoM is also done by Feral it is high probability the needs are the same.

beside few weird sky shots and rain i can't see much difference from how it looks on my NVidia

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    Well ... after some fumbling with libraries (since I'm on gentoo), I got it to at least run on radeonsi. And it feels quite well fps-wise even on quite high settings (ultra, anti-aliasing, everything to "on") on my 290X. But ... it got massive problems with lightning and colors (particles and smoke), it's too dark and the particles cycle through all colours (look at the yellow smoke through the door):
    I know that the most important extensions in OpenGL 4.3 has been implemented in mesa (http://mesamatrix.net/#Version_OpenGL4.3-GLSL4.30), so maybe you can override the OpenGL version with the env var MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE?

You can try launching the game with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.3... Maybe the results will be better?

Leave a comment:

• kenjitamura
    replied
    So umm.... why are all these hardcore "I only buy hardware with FOSS driver support" guys even trying to play proprietary games? There do exist FOSS games and if you're going to exclusively support FOSS supported hardware doesn't it also make sense to exclusively use FOSS games?

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

Well, it's unfortunate that they didn't just put that into system requirements, but it's 4.3 that's needed, especially compute shaders:
    Alien: Isolation has officially been released for Linux, and continues our trend of great AAA games. I would recommend playing this from behind a pillow, with emergency pants nearby.

At least they said what the requirements are. And your right it should have been on the requirements page. Compute shaders are in progress right now, but they aren't working yet for radeonsi.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is where it is happening. https://github.com/jljusten/mesa

Leave a comment:

• mazumoto
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I'd say it does suck because it's pretty obvious they aren't even trying to comply with OpenGL standards. If they could say that this game complies with GL4.3, then I'd say that's fine, but that isn't what was said.
    Well, it's unfortunate that they didn't just put that into system requirements, but it's 4.3 that's needed, especially compute shaders:
    Alien: Isolation has officially been released for Linux, and continues our trend of great AAA games. I would recommend playing this from behind a pillow, with emergency pants nearby.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Ingles
    replied
    Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post
    R9 390 + 7850K + 1080p + Catalyst 15.9 + all video settings at max: usually 20 or 30 FPS, 15 FPS in complex scenes, all cutscenes at 60 FPS, loading screens at 1-2 FPS

(added 1 line to controllermapping.txt to enable the gamepad)
    It is a little sad that Feral's A:I has such problems on AMD hardware. The original Windows version was written with help and consultation from AMD. One would think that it'd be easier than most to make work with AMD...

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Just a friendly reminder: if you play this game, make sure you have some extra pants and underwear near you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X