Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps4l
    replied
    Feral said they are going to support amd too.

I found a solution, for my mouse issue, thanks to another opensuse user on the steam alien isolation forum.
    Disable auto hide of the taskbar. WTF ?
    But it does work. Problem does not exist on opensuse with plasma5.
    From the steamforums I do however know that at least one person with Ubuntu has this problem too.
    Feral has promised a patch.

Leave a comment:

• philips
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    It only shows the port to be quickly done. And by the way it works with AMD? Thought that AMD is not supported at all.- Works fine with my GTX770 anyway.
    AMD is not supported no, and you get even a warning about this before running the game.
    Despite this is running very well if you set some features just a bit lower, in the video all were at maximum.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    It only shows the port to be quickly done. And by the way it works with AMD? Thought that AMD is not supported at all.- Works fine with my GTX770 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• philips
    replied
    SteamOS + Windows 10 + Ubuntu with Nvidia & AMD cards:

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
    Well ... after some fumbling with libraries (since I'm on gentoo), I got it to at least run on radeonsi. And it feels quite well fps-wise even on quite high settings (ultra, anti-aliasing, everything to "on") on my 290X. But ... it got massive problems with lightning and colors (particles and smoke), it's too dark and the particles cycle through all colours (look at the yellow smoke through the door):
    What did you do to the libraries to get it to work? I added the 32 bit flag to libpcre but it still seems to be missing it. Since it's looking for libpcre.so.3 I also added a symlink to libpcre.so.1.2.5, but it didn't like that either.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Gaming and no vid card ?

Are you serious ? Every benchmark I see, also here on phoronix shows that relative cheap vids cards are already faster then anything integrated.

I build my earlier mentioned pc, with love for amd, so it first had a hd5750. Then I wanted to upgrade the vid card, and had a problem, because of the quality of the linux drivers from AMD.

Three years ? since steam for Linux is released and still amd cant deliver good drivers who can compete with nividia.
    That why there is now a GTX750 geforce card in my pc. The one to blame for that is amd, not any game studio.

Today got another email from feral. They found the problem and are now able to reproduce it. When you lower the mouse sensitivity a lot, the game and the OS start to conflict.
    They are building a patch, and they might ask me to beta test it.

Do buy this game, especially if you?re an Alien movie fan. I see people complain, about the lag of real weapons. How many weapons did Ripley have in the Alien movie ?
    Alien isolation made this Alien fan really happy. unlike alien colonial marines, from the gearbox assholes. (That game does not even have a Linux version)

Never again a game from gearbox. For those that don't have a clue what I am on about.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It even went to court, because sega was not happy with gearbox.

Back to Alien isolation, I am looking forward to the sequel or any other game from that studio.

Leave a comment:

• Agross
    replied
    It doesn't work at all with primus. I tried it on my home notebook i7 + 755M and on a notebook from work with i5 + 650M on Mint, Debian, Ubuntu.
    You need to manually edit the startup scripts and wrap the actual AI binary with primusrun, but, even then, everything flickers and the game crashes after a short time.

Does work though on a desktop with a GTX 780 running Debian ...

I tried it on an AMD A10-6800k and it's shit, no textures no nothing. I don't have a discrete AMD GPU but since they don't support it anyways ...

I also tried again Civ:BE ( the new add-on ) and it is considrably slower on linux than the same game on the same notebook on windows. Let's face it, except for Valve and a vew others which take care and actually target their engines for linux and test them, the majority of 'ports' are utter shit. And frankly, if I can't use a monester notebook to run an engine, becuase of a 'windows only' HARDWARE feature, why would I even bother to allocate resources to port it to linux ? Programmers are fucking expensive in case you didn't notice ...

I looked around the net and, apparently, most 'gaming' laptops with Nvidia GPUs have that retarded 'optimus' thing along with the missing BIOS/EFI option to disable the iGPU, due to manufacturer cheaping out on routing video signals from the discrete card.

This is why we can't have nice things, even with a 1300 EUR notebook (that's more than 3x the cost of a PS4) I can't play games in Linux and there's nothing the 'open source community' can do about it shot of manufacturing laptops or resoldering traces and components on my existing laptop (and on 90% of the real world laptops out there)

I'm not wasting one more euro on any 'discrete' GPU, next on my list is a PS4. My 1300 EUR notebook barely runs the latest Assasin's Creed while the 400EUR PS4 runs it flawlessly and looks better.

I haven't played games in a while, neither on Linux or on Windows, in the limited time I have for games I kinda got used to indie games on Android/IOS and playing on someone's PS4 but this is ridiculous. I wasted 4-5 hours/day every night after work trying to get any 'triple-ah' game from my steam library to work on Mint/Ubuntu/Debian and, except Valve's , lightweight indie games or some 4-5 years old games, most of the 'triple-ahs' are crap, either crash continuously, unusable with any king of 'high quality' settings or have unplayable framerates (compared to the same game on the same machine in windows).

Folks, this is not just an AMD vs Nvidia thing ... The vast majority of people do not buy a GTX980 and pluck it in a giant desktop, they have notebooks with enough dGPU power to play games ... Most of the notebooks on the market with an Nvidia dGPU have that imbecile optimus thing that does not work on linux, and can't be deactivated from BIOS/EFI.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Feral seem to be on track of the problem. (I just got another reply)
    They can't reproduce it, but I am not the only one with this issue. They asked me to change the mouse sensitivity. When I move the sensitivity all the way up the problem is gone.
    (game becomes unplayable though) So the game does not like a logitech G3 (laser) mouse ?

Also on windows, the first thing I always have to when starting a game, is lowering the mouse sensitivity.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    KDE is bloated and slow, I'm fine with Unity. But if you don't like that try Mint. openSuse carries a lot of old stuff which makes it error prone.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    I am thinking of trying gnome. That should be relative easy.
    Gnome, Unity.

I do like kde though, ones tried Ubuntu years ago, and that desktop was for me reason enough, to never try that again.
    I really like openSUSE, its user friendly and about every question on how do I change something has the answer yast.
    Same answer for installing software.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X