No announcement yet.

Steam's First Linux-Exclusive Launch Title Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, if it was 1985, I'd be so excited to get this game on my Atari ST. Thirty years later? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
      Doubt it, a Valve dev has said that it was risky making Half life 2 a steam exclusive and guessed in retrospect that they wouldn't do it today. Those kind of moves piss off paying fans of your games. In the end of the day a game shouldn't care if you are in the PS/XB or win/mac/linux camp. You want the most fans as you can to buy your game. Goodwill builds trust and trust will help get the average user thinking about SteamOS.
      Valve doesn't even want the average user thinking about steamOS. SteamOS is there because they needed something to put onto steam machines. And to serve as a target distro for making Linux games.

They are very clear that it's not a replacement for your desktop distro. For desktop users they want people to use other distros with steam installed on top.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Valve doesn't even want the average user thinking about steamOS. SteamOS is there because they needed something to put onto steam machines. And to serve as a target distro for making Linux games.

They are very clear that it's not a replacement for your desktop distro. For desktop users they want people to use other distros with steam installed on top.
        SteamOS is there because Valve saw the Windows AppStore as serious competitor to their platform. Steam machines gives hardware manufacturers the opportunity to cash-in on the concept while keeping Valve firmly in control of what they're best at.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

SteamOS is there because Valve saw the Windows AppStore as serious competitor to their platform. Steam machines gives hardware manufacturers the opportunity to cash-in on the concept while keeping Valve firmly in control of what they're best at.
          Agree with this. That's why they want Linux to succeed and Vulkan instead of directX etc... They want an ecosystem in which Microsoft does not hold the cards.

I was merely addressing the assertion that some people have that Valve wants loads of people using steamOS. What they actually want is loads of people using steam.

Comment

My Megadrive is up to play this, does Steam require a mega-CD for big picture mode ?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              Steam machines gives hardware manufacturers the opportunity to cash-in on the concept while keeping Valve firmly in control of what they're best at.
              Selling hats?

Comment

Working...
              X