Steam Linux Usage For Last Month Was Just Shy Of 0.9%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neplatny.udaj View Post

Do you have any source for that claim? Here's a title which is currently Linux exclusive: http://store.steampowered.com/app/378410/
    Your example is EA, will get windows support later.

Source of the claim: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/a...faq#developers

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
      Yesterday was the first time I've gotten the survey in probably about a year.
      same I have now gotten the survey ~4 times, 2 times was when I was playing elder scrolls through wine and haven't seen it in a very long time. Pretty sure I got it once on Linux before but it's been so long I can't remember anymore.

Comment

Hey comes another, "The survey is wrong!" accusation thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post

I don't think I've ever participated in the survey.

I wonder how accurate the results reflect actual usage? Does the survey count users who run Steam via Wine as Linux users or Windows users?
          Do you remain logged in 24/7? Because you're not going to get the survey if you stay signed in. You're only prompted when you first log in. I personally have got the survey maybe 10 times total (including when running Windows) since I've been a member.

dh04000
          I wouldn't say the survey is wrong but the results are a bit skewed. Many people who use steam on linux also use it on Windows. If they get prompted for the survey while logging into Windows, that affects the numbers. For example: I sign in to Steam on linux on almost a daily basis, and might never get prompted for 3 months straight. Then I sign into Windows for the first time in a month and then the survey comes up. That skews results.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 August 2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

It's simple to understand. I make some easy examples:

Creative x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty professional: audio
            Lubuntu 15.04: dummy
            Kubuntu 15.05: dummy;
            Lubuntu14.04: dummy.
            Outcome: no audio. Gaming user reaction: LINUX FUCK YOU.

Epson EPL-5700 printer on XP sharing machine:

Lubuntu 14.04: checked drivers successfully installed;
            Lubuntu 15.04: checked drivers not installed manual installation problems;
            Kubuntu 15.04: printer is not available manually procedure to set path and to install drivers (complicated for the common user).
            Outcome: printer sharing problems with newer Kernel Linux systems. Common user reaction: LINUX FUCK YOU and fuck to all the incompetent developers.

Resume from stand-by LAN/Internet:
            Kubntu 15.04: OK;
            Lubuntu 15.04: lan problems;
            Lubuntu 14.04: I don't remember (however on old version I remeber: problems fixed rebooting the operating system).

Others problems:
            reliability;
            stability;
            resource and drivers management.

So the common user will use linux system as complementary system because Microsoft WINS: it wins as immediate reliable and efficient system, it wins in gaming and it wins on multimedia because of BLU-RAY implementation.

Only a user could be developer because user knows the difference between instrument and programming. Here why microsft continue to prevails although vista 8 and other systems failures. What developers should make: what is the best microsoft system of history? XP. Well. Learn about COMMON USERS why XP was the most successfully microsft system... developers have to learn from COMMON USERS:

Why common user uses computer;
            what common user wants from a computer (free time, gaming multimedia, plug and play, simple use of resources and devices, simple self problem solving and device management)... .

after this....developers as programmers CAN MAKE A DECENT OPERATING SYSTEM.

Why one of the common audio card for gaming Creative xtreme fatal1ty pro doesn't work IMMEDIATELY on linux?

Why I can't print easy as happen on old XP system?

Why sometimes linux detect lan printer and sometime no?

These are questions a developer MUST ANSWER BEFORE THE OPERATING SYSTEM be released. BEFORE... NOT AFTER COMMON USER REACTION BE "LINUX FUCK YOU AND YOUR SHITTY OPERATING SYSTEMS OF SHIT".
            Last edited by Azrael5; 03 August 2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              These are questions a developer MUST ANSWER BEFORE THE OPERATING SYSTEM be [*is] released
              1. Linux isn't an operating system
              2. a single developer does not create an operating system, a community or company does - there are many.
              3. Why are you mad at the OS maker? Microsoft didn't make Creative's drivers, Creative did. Be mad at them for not making a Linux driver.
              4. Buy printers that work with Linux - there's plenty of them. You wouldn't buy a Mac-only printer for your Windows machine. My Wireless Canon works awesome and has linux drivers straight from the manufacturer.
              5. Blu-ray is complicated with it's encryption, so we're dependant on waiting for a commercial player like fluendo to hurry up and create a player for linux (unless you want to get nerdy and set up VLC to do it)
              6. If you hate Linux, don't troll around a Linux news site

Comment

How I can play on Linux, when Mesa devs are ignoring bugs? :-(

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                  1. Linux isn't an operating system
                  2. a single developer does not create an operating system, a community or company does - there are many.
                  3. Why are you mad at the OS maker? Microsoft didn't make Creative's drivers, Creative did. Be mad at them for not making a Linux driver.
                  4. Buy printers that work with Linux - there's plenty of them. You wouldn't buy a Mac-only printer for your Windows machine. My Wireless Canon works awesome and has linux drivers straight from the manufacturer.
                  5. Blu-ray is complicated with it's encryption, so we're dependant on waiting for a commercial player like fluendo to hurry up and create a player for linux (unless you want to get nerdy and set up VLC to do it)
                  6. If you hate Linux, don't troll around a Linux news site
                  All excuses of a tipical immature person. Face the problems! developer is singular but developers is plural word: OK. Now face the problems.

What about PHYSX used in many games!? Why some spreaded soundcards aren't recognised by operating system!? I don't care if linux is or not an operating system IF IT HAS TO MAKE PLAYABLE GAMES a common user call it operating system or in other way, but GAME HAS TO WORK, soundcard has to work, DRIVERS have to work, and drivers should be manageable. IT'S NOT QUESTION OF SINGULAR OR PLURAL terms it's question of working or not working. What a common user should choose between a linux system or a microsft system if IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY GAMES in a decent way!? TOO MUCH DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND!?

When you have not argument you use troll epithet... because it's more simple to argument the user rather than to argument the question, RIGHT!? If I was a troll you are an immature.
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 03 August 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
                    How I can play on Linux, when Mesa devs are ignoring bugs? :-(
                    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86720
                    You can install Catalyst, which is at the moment still a better and more stable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      What I meant was that Linux is a large ecosystem and yelling at "developers" doesn't tell us who you think should do the work you care about. Linux works on my system, perfectly, why would I care about your setup? Why would Red Hat care about your printer? Which company or community should be working to fix the things you care about?
                      You're complaining about technologies and hardware that isn't supported on Linux, but you place the blame on the OS / kernel developers instead of the companies who create them. It's not up to Linus Torvalds or Microsoft to make a hardware driver, that's the job of the people who made the hardware.
                      If you have issues with PhysX, complain to NVIDIA. They claim it should work under Linux OSes with their drivers.
                      You say that games are impossible to play, yet I've been playing many games on Steam on Kubuntu. The issue is that you have built a PC that doesn't work well with Linux OSes. Either stick with Windows, or build your machine with Linux in mind next time.

P.S.
                      No need to yell, use punctuation.

"TOO MUCH DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND" should be "Is that so hard to understand?"

You're extremely emotional sounding and it's hard to read when you use incomprehensible phrases like "some spreaded soundcards" ??? Are these sound cards using a large surface area? I don't understand what you meant.

I will likely not reply to your next rant to avoid an explosion of this thread.
                      Last edited by lunarcloud; 03 August 2015, 11:30 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                      X