No announcement yet.

Valve Begins Its Steam Summer Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or did they remove the Linux icon from the store?

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
      Is it just me or did they remove the Linux icon from the store?
      I see icons for the following operating systems: Windows, OSX and SteamOS.

What is Linux other than a kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Speaking of DRM free some commentators have raised a concern about how valve can keep offering the current refund policy on the DRM-free steam games. There are steam games which do not use the optional DRM component and they can be copied to a different location and run without steam. While allows you to have a get a refund and still have the game.
        Another counter argument to that is that Steam has been cracked years ago and pirates have been playing the games for free permanently since. Whilst not a crack site itself (or I wouldn't link it obviously), the cs.rin.ru forums pretty much store a load of these example "tools".

As far as "steam summer sale" goes.. Think of it more like the "steam summer rental" since the DRM ensures that one day your license will be revoked as the steam servers go down and you will be left with nothing

But we all know the problems with DRM anyway right? I don't have to explain it surely...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Another counter argument to that is that Steam has been cracked years ago and pirates have been playing the games for free permanently since. Whilst not a crack site itself (or I wouldn't link it obviously), the cs.rin.ru forums pretty much store a load of these example "tools".

As far as "steam summer sale" goes.. Think of it more like the "steam summer rental" since the DRM ensures that one day your license will be revoked as the steam servers go down and you will be left with nothing

But we all know the problems with DRM anyway right? I don't have to explain it surely...
          Shudder. Guess what. I've bough Half-Life 2 11 years ago and now I can still play it on an entirely different OS - thanks to this evil DRM platform. OTOH I do have some pristine Windows-DVDs which refused to work on WIndows since the copy protection only worked on a Win32 and not my Win 7 64bit. And I still have my DRM free ZX Spectrum Cassettes - they are really nice to look at.
          You know what: I play War Thunder. And I already know, that one day there won't be enough players taking to the simulated skies and they will shut down their servers and the 50-or-so bucks spent on the game will be gone for the fun I had until then. Horrific. Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

No what you mean? You can start steam or any game offline.-

Ahh you support steamos by giving crap links. :-( On Windows clicking such sites often also infects your os.

Comment

Shadow of Mordor

Since it's likely that Shadow of Mordor will also be featured in the sale - a word of caution to AMD GPU users.
              This Readme, that popped up recently, hints that AMD might not be supported.

http://support.feralinteractive.com/.../linux/readme/

So, if you have a Radeon card and want to play SoM on Linux better wait for the first reviews.

I hope it's a false alarm, but we know how games tyically perform with Catalyst on Linux if they are "not officially supported".

Edit: Actually the game-specific FAQ tells us that intel & AMD GPUs are "not currently supported by Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor."

Last edited by entropy; 12 June 2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

In rather more Linux-related news, there's a GOG summer sale going on: http://www.gog.com/
                In other other Linux news, seems that Desura might be undergoing some changes. The "exploring some very exciting new avenues in terms of partnerships and growth opportunities" usually is a sign of bad things to come, much like the whole Impulse and GameStop deal back in the day.

Comment

Valve ought to have a special discount for Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Valve ought to have a special discount for Linux users.

many games are dirt cheap. They got all their titles on super cheap sales, like the orange box for $5.

for the other games you can probably wait for bundles too, but supporting Valve directly helps support their linux and driver improvement efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      In rather more Linux-related news, there's a GOG summer sale going on: http://www.gog.com/
                      In other other Linux news, seems that Desura might be undergoing some changes. The "exploring some very exciting new avenues in terms of partnerships and growth opportunities" usually is a sign of bad things to come, much like the whole Impulse and GameStop deal back in the day.

I like gog, but I like Humble store / bundle better. You get a lot of DRM free and they have been doing a tad more for linux and charity for a long time.

However at the moment I like what Valve is doing better than both.

Comment

Working...
                      X