Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    In my RSS feed I seen Icculus updated his blog. I had hoped for a half-second that it was about UT3, but then when I clicked the link, absolutely no mention of UT3: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...&time=23-32-23

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    While it's entirely up to epic to release a linux client (or not), I have to agree with everyone that what they're doing here is going a bit far. The UT franchise requires community support to keep it going (e.g mods) which in turn keep their game, and hence engine, known and appealing to companies wanting to license their tech. To me, what they're doing here is a classic sign of the collective game company growing too large an ego and thinking they can do whatever they want, and people will like it. Time will tell how all this affects Epic as a whole I guess.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    how on earth do I digg this Epic Games Linux snafu article? It's time Linux folks fight back!

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    In all honesty, this one's gone just a bit far.

We need to handle this well- no badgering them. Just shine the light of the facts (including the details that they're deleting posts...) on them from off of the Internet. We need to make sure that the whole story shows in Slashdot, Digg (done...make it soar up, gang...), Boing-Boing (if possible...), Linux Games, and Linux Today.

You don't play these games. If you can't ship it, SAY SO. If you can, don't be doing this sort of crap.
    Don't know if it will have any effect, but I have contacted Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, responsible for the Hardware 2.0 blog at ZDNet.com, about this and asked him to see if he would give this issue some coverage (hence exposure) or try and see if he could get some sort of statement off Epic, I mean, he's IT press after all. We'll see what comes out of this, I hope we can get as much exposure as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by etymxris View Post
    ... However, epic at least owes us a statement to that effect.
    You know what? Screw it, Epic Fail. I won't buy the game (even if it actually does come out). Take that to the PR department... there is one right?

Leave a comment:

• SarahKH
    replied
    Registered to make this post....

I'm not surprised Epic are suppressing such talk, Atari did/do similar things with the epic failure that is/was Test Drive Unlimited... a highly unstable game which neither Atari, their internal dev team, or anyone else could explain why multiple people across different platforms were getting the same issue.

Forums, more specifically game producer forums, are very tightly regulated and controlled these days; you can't bad mouth or show a product to be defective.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Perhaps sending the story to a few more mainstream tech sites will also get some needed exposure as well. Places like tomshardware, anandtech, the register, and maybe just maybe the inquirer could do something useful since this the kind of stories it likes to focus on.
    Go for it. This needs to be made a bit more public than they really wanted it to be after these two cute stunts of theirs.

Leave a comment:

• etymxris
    replied
    I see wine threads pop up every now and then on the Valve TF2 forum. They've never been locked. If you call out moderators or start whining about no native linux client, it's easy to see why they would lock the thread. Not saying I'd run a forum that way, but it should shock no one that those threads are locked.

The unreal tournament issue is different. Valve has already stated that they have no plans to port any client games to linux. But epic has promised a linux client, which has been in limbo for five months. At this point, I'm not holding out hope for a linux client ever being released. However, epic at least owes us a statement to that effect.

Leave a comment:

• SlickMcRunfast
    replied
    NilsHG & Fixxer_Linux I'm in the same boat as you both with not buying the game until it makes its way to Linux.

At least Epic isn't like Valve.

Last edited by SlickMcRunfast; 22 April 2008, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Perhaps sending the story to a few more mainstream tech sites will also get some needed exposure as well. Places like tomshardware, anandtech, the register, and maybe just maybe the inquirer could do something useful since this the kind of stories it likes to focus on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X