X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thetargos
    replied
    Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Steam is crap. Maybe for buying old games you can't find anywhere else, but for new releases having to authenticate and connect to the web each time, besides the connection you already have to the internet with your broadband connection just for playing single or multiplayer is crap. Newell can take his steam and shove it up his big a**.
    Yes, Steam as a service is crap, as a delivery mechanism could be useful, but still leaves you wondering what kind of information such a service is "phoning home", not to mention the potential resource hogging it may be in Linux, and what it is on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
    and how exactly do you figure its "their prerogative" ? they announced that the shit was coming, and as a result people have gone out and bought their software, since they were promised that they were gonna be able to play it on linux, with a native client. Its been half a year, and nothing has been released, hell, they havent even said why, said when they expect it to be released, or even said if its still going to be released.. You know, there is a little thing called a lie, and epic's marketing might need to look that up.
    It is still entirely up to them. They said it was coming, never said when or that they would actually commit... Just like politicians, they say a lot of stuff during campaign, and are actually seldom able to deliver all of their promises. And even if they did, it is still their right (prerogative) to cancel the project if they so choose to. It is wrong, it means they lied, but it is still their option to release it or not... And there's nothing you can do, except maybe get your money back, which I'd doubt because, you bought the Windows version anyway, and nowhere in the box is stated Linux support, despite anything they might have said.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    Steam is crap. Maybe for buying old games you can't find anywhere else, but for new releases having to authenticate and connect to the web each time, besides the connection you already have to the internet with your broadband connection just for playing single or multiplayer is crap. Newell can take his steam and shove it up his big a**.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    I'm surprised the idea of a Linux port of a piece of DRM-infected software like Steam gets such an enthusiastic reaction, though I appreciate that it could encourage more developers to add Linux functionality. It's be a royal shame if it was something like that holding up UT3. I'd prefer to think they were holding it up to release it in time with the 360 or Mac port- it still not a good thing, but at least we're not bound by Steam that way.
    You know, I'm not so thrilled as having Steam, as having an answer to it all. No answers and the conduct they've had recently is troubling.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ze.. View Post
    It's not perfect information but it's generally better than none If I was a gambling on this I'd be a fool to ignore past performance.

Only if your comparing company A to company B and betting on which will follow though given a choice. When gambling on the certainty of just one company, especially in the IT industry, marketing strategies changes with the tides based on current and future needs and wants.

Leave a comment:

• Ze..
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Past performance does not indicate current performance with business.
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Exactly, you can't base ANY companies current strategies by their past record
    It's not perfect information but it's generally better than none If I was a gambling on this I'd be a fool to ignore past performance.

Leave a comment:

• Redeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    I guess we'll never know for sure what is the hold up and why have they decided to forsake Linux talk from the forums. Maybe they were asked by Microsoft to do so in order to have the game in the 360 (a long shot and it'd be stretching it) or they simply lost interest... Whatever the reason, as I've said before, it's their prerogative.

I hope Ryan keeps on working in interesting projects for Linux.
    and how exactly do you figure its "their prerogative" ? they announced that the shit was coming, and as a result people have gone out and bought their software, since they were promised that they were gonna be able to play it on linux, with a native client. Its been half a year, and nothing has been released, hell, they havent even said why, said when they expect it to be released, or even said if its still going to be released.. You know, there is a little thing called a lie, and epic's marketing might need to look that up.

Leave a comment:

• Shakey_Jake33
    replied
    I'm surprised the idea of a Linux port of a piece of DRM-infected software like Steam gets such an enthusiastic reaction, though I appreciate that it could encourage more developers to add Linux functionality. It's be a royal shame if it was something like that holding up UT3. I'd prefer to think they were holding it up to release it in time with the 360 or Mac port- it still not a good thing, but at least we're not bound by Steam that way.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Yeah, you did mention it may be Steam, I mentioned (based on Valve's job announcement on their site) that maybe they're actually working on a port.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Hey now, you're supposed to be pessimistic here... :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X