No announcement yet.

Dying Light Is Headed To Linux, SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Linux specific requirements? Like "Nvidia Proprietary only"...

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
      Any Linux specific requirements? Like "Nvidia Proprietary only"...
      According to the steam page minimum and recommended requirements:

Minimum:
      NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX 560 / AMD Radeon? HD 6870 (1GB VRAM)

Recommended:
      NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX 780 / AMD Radeon? R9 290 (2GB VRAM)

So it seems AMD cards are supported. no telling if Intel cards will work, though they'd struggle just to make minimum specs (maybe IrisPro makes minimum specs?). This is a newer version of Techland's engine so Linux support should, in theory, be much better than with Dead Island. Only time will tell, I guess.

Comment

Anybody tried it on Kaveri?
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          Anybody tried it on Kaveri?
          Thanks.
          I think it isn't even released on the market, is it? But judging from the minimum requirements Kaveri should be okay. Not for greatest settings (R9 290 is quite a monster) but 6870 is strong but an elderly generation. You still have to attribute the APU enough RAM and use fast RAM if possible.

Aunt Edith says: It is to be released today as it seems.
          Last edited by Adarion; 27 January 2015, 01:38 PM.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Well. i bought it aaand...

.. it's a steaming pile of shit! Sure, the graphics is amazing. But the performance, oh it's TERRIBLE. After completion of the tutorial my i7-2700K, GTX 980 rig comes to a crawl.. Can't even get decent performance on lowest settings! Such a shame, i was really looking forward to this game Windows users are reporting the same issues....

Comment

Originally posted by birdstream View Post
              .. it's a steaming pile of shit! Sure, the graphics is amazing. But the performance, oh it's TERRIBLE. After completion of the tutorial my i7-2700K, GTX 980 rig comes to a crawl.. Can't even get decent performance on lowest settings! Such a shame, i was really looking forward to this game Windows users are reporting the same issues....
              Somebody said there was a recent patch that fubar'd performance. So maybe they'll unpatch and un-fubar it.

Otherwise we might have on our hands yet another console port.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Somebody said there was a recent patch that fubar'd performance. So maybe they'll unpatch and un-fubar it.

Otherwise we might have on our hands yet another console port.
                Haven't read it myself but it'd make sense since some people that streamed it on twitch prior to release reportedly had no problems, but after release started having issues aswell..

Comment

Runs fine for me on my rig, Haswell Xeon E3-1231v3 GTX780Ti Superclocked 32GB DDR3, with some minor issues. I run it at 2560x1440 max settings except antialiasing off (for performance, I don't notice jaggies anyway) and motion blur off (because I hate motion blur). The game has some pretty noticeable stutter and ghosting. Turning Steam Overlay off solved the stuttering issue. I don't know how the 2 are related, maybe it;s coincidence, but without Steam Overlay the game runs MUCH smoother. The ghosting I solved by turning on AmbientOcclusion. It;s not in the setting menu, you have to manually activate it in the config file ~/.steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/Dying Light/DW/out/Video.scr. maybe it's just a coincidence, but I haven't seen any ghosting since I turned Ambient Occlusion on. Small sample size so far, so it could just be placebo effect. There is one more issue. There is no lip movement on character faces when talking sometimes. Sometimes their lips move sometimes they don't. I have no clue what is causing this or how to fix it, but it's not a showstopper, just makes conversations look a bit weird. Otherwise, the game runs fine fine me.

Comment

The #1 performance setting in the game is draw distance. It has a massive impact on framerate. If you're having framerate issues then crank the draw distance (view distance I think they call it in game) all the way down. The game will still look great, there will be no pop in that affects gameplay, and your framerate will increase significantly.

Comment

I gave this game a shot last night... The framerate even before going outside was really lower than it should've been, but it seemed to at least 30-40 fps.

Once I went outside, it seemed to be around 20 fps.

Unfortunately, I'm eyeballing it and I have gsync, so if someone knows how to display the framerate in this game (or knows of a good app for doing this), please let me know. I only turned down the drawing distance to be a little before half way. I'll try it all the way down in the next few days to see if that makes a difference.

This port definitely has a lot of problems... Someone found that when you run the game, it renices all of your user's processes to 19, and it doesn't change them back when you exit. I've confirmed this behavior myself.

I doubt that renicing all your other processes makes a difference in this game to begin with, and even so, that's a _really_ bad solution.

But regardless, the performance so far has been pretty disappointing with some pretty highend specs:
                      i7 5960x
                      32GB memory
                      EVGA GTX 980 Classified

Hopefully it gets fixed, it seems to be a really fun game!

So far the only triple AAA games that have been pretty good at launch for as been metro redux and borderlands 2 (I have the tps but I haven't tried it yet). I was blown away by how well borderlands 2 ran... I tried it on a laptop with an intel APU to see how awful it would run, and even there it ran surprisingly well even after I raised the settings a bit!

Comment

Working...
                      X