Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Is Almost Back Up To 1.2%

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steam Linux Usage Is Almost Back Up To 1.2%

    Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Is Almost Back Up To 1.2%

    The Steam hardware/software survey has been updated with its October 2014 data and it reflects slightly larger Linux gaming market-share...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyODA

  • #2
    I really wish there was a new distro reporting method.
    I have a real problem with the Ubuntu #s because Distrowatch Ubuntu 6 month hits is around 2000.
    Where Ubuntu based derivatives are over 10,000.
    It just aint right.

    Comment


    • #3
      Today I happily participated in this month's survey.

      Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      I really wish there was a new distro reporting method.
      I have a real problem with the Ubuntu #s because Distrowatch Ubuntu 6 month hits is around 2000.
      Where Ubuntu based derivatives are over 10,000.
      It just aint right.
      Some derivatives like Xubuntu gets reported as Ubuntu in the survey. I think it would have been interesting to see some statistics for window manager as well.

      Code:
      Operating System Version:
          Ubuntu 14.10 (64 bit)
          Kernel Name:  Linux
          Kernel Version:  3.16.0-24-generic
          X Server Vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
          X Server Release:  11600000
          X Window Manager:  Xfwm4
          Steam Runtime Version:  steam-runtime-release_2014-08-20

      Comment


      • #4
        Some linux-exclusive HL3 would help a lot... i know it won't happen though. Valve is not that serious about SteamOS... EA would do it without a blink.

        Comment


        • #5
          It was probably me finding an hour to fire up Steam for the first time in over a year. What, I'm busy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            I really wish there was a new distro reporting method.
            I have a real problem with the Ubuntu #s because Distrowatch Ubuntu 6 month hits is around 2000.
            Where Ubuntu based derivatives are over 10,000.
            It just aint right.
            You do realize that distrowatch just counts the number of hits they receive on their web site for the various distros? This is of course NOT a reliable way of measuring market share. Even the distrowatch owner agrees: "I'd like to believe that there is some truth in the figures, but in all honesty, they really don't mean all that much and should not be taken very seriously".

            The only thing this shows is that Mint users love to browse distrowatch and open the Mint pages there. I, as an Ubuntu user, never browse distrowatch because I couldn't care less about Ubuntu market share. Most Ubuntu users probably think the same way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Some linux-exclusive HL3 would help a lot... i know it won't happen though. Valve is not that serious about SteamOS... EA would do it without a blink.
              Some "time exclusive" like 3 to 6 months and /or beta periods just for those whom have invested or early adopt steam os/Linux

              Anyway am pretty sure they will wait at least till Linux has 1k games and hardware prices have dropped more before launching their steampad machines. I believe in about a year on holiday season.

              But I think they should invest in cheap streaming devices first similar to the Amazon fire stick but with Intel
              Last edited by madjr; 01 November 2014, 10:17 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
                You do realize that distrowatch just counts the number of hits they receive on their web site for the various distros? This is of course NOT a reliable way of measuring market share. Even the distrowatch owner agrees: "I'd like to believe that there is some truth in the figures, but in all honesty, they really don't mean all that much and should not be taken very seriously".

                The only thing this shows is that Mint users love to browse distrowatch and open the Mint pages there. I, as an Ubuntu user, never browse distrowatch because I couldn't care less about Ubuntu market share. Most Ubuntu users probably think the same way.
                Most UB users go directly to the source or to omg Ubuntu.

                I think you don't mean market share but distro watch hits

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wish Valve would reign in this "Valve Time" characteristic that they love to brag about. It was cute initially but you really can't accomplish anything significant as a business with a strategy like that.

                  Right now their business model is to roll in the cash by sitting back and letting their marketplace generate revenue for them. In other words, they do no work. And like a muscle that has atrophied from lack of use, they now seem incapable of actually effecting any kind of new products.

                  They've been talking about this Steam Box, Steam OS, etc. stuff for years now and nothing has really come of it. I mean WTF are they doing over there? What do their 500 employees do all day? Push wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank and back?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                    I really wish there was a new distro reporting method.
                    I have a real problem with the Ubuntu #s because Distrowatch Ubuntu 6 month hits is around 2000.
                    Where Ubuntu based derivatives are over 10,000.
                    It just aint right.
                    If you think Distro watch is an accurate method for determining distro usage..... then you're an idiot.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X