Unreal Engine 4.5 Is Looking Fantastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    If the engine is fantastic the video doens't demonstrate it.

More:

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
      Real-time shadows using ray-tracing techniques is something I've not seen in other engines. The video demonstrates this specific function. The environment is from a game called Fortnite, which has a cartoonish and thus unrealistic art-style.
      i think that only the eye-shadow distance is calculated via raytracing
      probably for some kind of a non-uniform shadow mapping technique

although i myself have thought about doing shadows with (semi)pure ray tracing

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        Got it running under Archlinux, compiled from sources with one command.

Im part of the student program, so its free for me. Its very nice, only crashes when I create projects from templates, than I restart, and it works again, didnt crash yet under normal execution, but when it does, systemd creates a 6 GB (!!) coredump file.

Archlinux or systemd should fix this mess... #systemd says its archlinux fault, because they not limit it, even systemd ships this unlimited config by default.

If you need help, check #UE4LINUX on Freenode IRC, even Epic games people are there.
        Chromium browser. it leaves huge CD files.
        Switch to firefox.
        On another note Arch is 100% responsible for setting their own SystemD flags.
        Last edited by grndzro; 15 October 2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

While I understand that the engine is, in fact, quite good (I mean those videos show GREAT lighting effects), the only reason those demos look that "real" is extremely high resolution textures... there's very few polygons in any of them (ignoring the chairs, which are a solid color so nothing much is needed for that to look "real" other than good lighting). Not to mention the rain bouncing off horizontal surfaces in the last video looks kinda/really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            While I understand that the engine is, in fact, quite good (I mean those videos show GREAT lighting effects), the only reason those demos look that "real" is extremely high resolution textures...
            engines are lately going in the "physically based rendering" realm
            better lighting, shadows, reflections and stuff like that to better match the real world

it's not that hard to make, but it's hard to make work fast enough without going too much into approximations

Comment

I'd like to see what working with something like unreal is like.

Comment

Working...
              X