No announcement yet.

Steam Survey Results For July 2014 Show A Slight Drop In Linux Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ5, l4d2 and xcom are native, also add portal2 to that list. And using fps is not a solid metric to use for comparison, how about overall smoothness and grahpic detail levels - they make more of a difference than 20% higher fps when the game is already running at 60+ fps.

Comment

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
      Civ5, l4d2 and xcom are native, also add portal2 to that list. And using fps is not a solid metric to use for comparison, how about overall smoothness and grahpic detail levels - they make more of a difference than 20% higher fps when the game is already running at 60+ fps.
      There are also other metrics to include when determining performance, like loading times and overall responsiveness of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        There are also other metrics to include when determining performance, like loading times and overall responsiveness of the system.
        Exactly. Add stability too. And as much as I hate to say it, at this point in time windows has the upper advantage in this area. Thank god its the only area.

Comment

Exactly. Add stability too. And as much as I hate to say it, at this point in time windows has the upper advantage in this area. Thank god its the only area.
          You're doing something wrong.

ixion@smaug ~ $ uptime
          12:37:03 up 155 days, 11:57, 2 users, load average: 0.45, 0.54, 0.36

That's on a system constantly being used for god knows what by two toddlers, a facebook-game-playing mother-in-law, and my actively participating in a few game betas.

I can't go more than a couple of hours on my windows 8.whatever laptop without it proclaiming that it shall reboot to apply updates.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
            You're doing something wrong.

ixion@smaug ~ $ uptime
            12:37:03 up 155 days, 11:57, 2 users, load average: 0.45, 0.54, 0.36

That's on a system constantly being used for god knows what by two toddlers, a facebook-game-playing mother-in-law, and my actively participating in a few game betas.

I can't go more than a couple of hours on my windows 8.whatever laptop without it proclaiming that it shall reboot to apply updates.
            I think he's talking about stability of games on Linux, not stability of Linux itself.

Comment

Yes the stability of games. Eg, xcom turns into a stuttery mess after some time playing.

And if I am doing something wrong I'd like to know what it is. I have tried various games on two different machines (both nvidia + intel) with steam os, kubuntu 14.04 and a minimal openbox Ubuntu 14.04 install, plus previous versions of *buntu. Tried using the steamos compositor, kwin, Compton and no compositor. Different drivers, kernels and filesystems to no avail.
              I don't have the luxury of time these day to put so many hours into just getting a game to run on par with its windows counterpart, especially when I have a windows install where its setup to be console-like and getting a game to run at its best is as easy as clicking install the play.

Here's some observations:
              Metro LL: Glitchy graphics, low fps and wireless 360 controller is all messed up. Apparently you can edit a XML file to fiz the controller. Yay!
              L4d2: opening scene on single player has these micro stutters.
              Civ5: dx9 level graphics, plus it doesn't feel as smooth as windows (not fps, but in general). Game is solid though.
              Witcher 2: sub par performance.
              Serious Sam 3: again microstutters. Plus for controller to work you need to edit a XML file.
              Guacameele: on par with windows, but hardly the most demanding game.
              Xcom: horrible fps after some time playing.

I know its early days, but as I said before any serious PC gamer already has a copy of windows and there is no benefit to using Linux. Hopefully this changes.

PS: you can stop the forced reboots on windows 7 with a simple registry edit. I imagine it would be the same with win8.

Comment

Yes the stability of games. Eg, xcom turns into a stuttery mess after some time playing.

And if I am doing something wrong I'd like to know what it is. I have tried various games on two different machines (both nvidia + intel) with steam os, kubuntu 14.04 and a minimal openbox Ubuntu 14.04 install, plus previous versions of *buntu. Tried using the steamos compositor, kwin, Compton and no compositor. Different drivers, kernels and filesystems to no avail.
                I don't have the luxury of time these day to put so many hours into just getting a game to run on par with its windows counterpart, especially when I have a windows install where its setup to be console-like and getting a game to run at its best is as easy as clicking install the play.

Metro LL: Glitchy graphics, low fps and wireless 360 controller is all messed up. Apparently you can edit a XML file to fiz the controller. Yay!
                Civ5: dx9 level graphics, plus it doesn't feel as smooth as windows (not fps, but in general). Game is solid though.
                Serious Sam 3: again microstutters. Plus for controller to work you need to edit a XML file.

I know its early days, but as I said before any serious PC gamer already has a copy of windows and there is no benefit to using Linux. Hopefully this changes.

PS: you can stop the forced reboots on windows 7 with a simple registry edit. I imagine it would be the same with win8.
                yeah i kinda gave up on linux gaming for now since it doesn't work

Comment

I am guessing (and hoping) that SteamOS will change this. One of the reasons Windows games run fine is because it's only one setup developers have to test against. SteamOS will become a reference platform for Linux game developers, and a reference platform for other distros as well when it comes to gaming. If a game runs fine on SteamOS but not on distro X then they know it's something specific to their distro.

Comment

360 controller not working on Linux? Complain to Microsoft, after all, they fully support their controller hardware with Linux drivers.

Comment

360 controller works great in Linux, just not in Metro LL. Seems pretty obvious that I was talking about a 360 controller and that particular game from what I wrote, no?

Comment

Working...
                      X