Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's just really disappointing that Ryan has been AWOL on the issue at all. Even some hint that it's still going to be released would be welcome news. Right now I'm really thinking that the project is dead. Maybe everybody should email [email protected] for an update or since this crew is so gung ho on petitions start one for Ryan to give us an update. I imagine a petition would have more effect on a individual then it would on any one corporation.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Maybe everybody should email [email protected] for an update or since this crew is so gung ho on petitions start one for Ryan to give us an update.
      I should think not. Please don't spam the man. He obviously can't discuss what's going on because of NDA.

To the people complaining about it "losing it's value": Perhaps it wasn't worth buying in the first place, hm? If it "loses it's value" either the bulk of the people playing it are fickle in the first place or the product wasn't as good as it was hyped- or perhaps a little of both.

A truly good, worthwhile title will have popularity, etc. well past 4 months of it's original release. If it doesn't have that, then there might be something lacking in game play or quality that's driving them off.

Comment

• Well if it is indeed ever released hopefully Ryan has included support for Nvidia's physics on Cuda support since Nvidia's pretty much done the code to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          To the people complaining about it "losing it's value": Perhaps it wasn't worth buying in the first place, hm? If it "loses it's value" either the bulk of the people playing it are fickle in the first place or the product wasn't as good as it was hyped- or perhaps a little of both.

A truly good, worthwhile title will have popularity, etc. well past 4 months of it's original release. If it doesn't have that, then there might be something lacking in game play or quality that's driving them off.
          it's "losing it's value" as we speak, by the time the linux client is released the game will be cheaper anyway (guess who's losing here?), fewer users will want to get it since it has lost it's appeal through countless delays and lawyer mess. so the whole conclusion will be: "look the linux client is useless, blahblahblah..." and BillyG smiles playing UT3 on his Xb0x36o

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            it's "losing it's value" as we speak, by the time the linux client is released the game will be cheaper anyway (guess who's losing here?), fewer users will want to get it since it has lost it's appeal through countless delays and lawyer mess. so the whole conclusion will be: "look the linux client is useless, blahblahblah..." and BillyG smiles playing UT3 on his Xb0x36o
            I'll re-state this. If it's lost THAT much value, then it wasn't worth playing. Seriously.

People are still playing UT2k4 and Q3:A derivatives NOW...

If it's not fun because it's "old", then all you had was eye-candy. It wasn't all that "fun" to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              If it's not fun because it's "old", then all you had was eye-candy. It wasn't all that "fun" to begin with.
              well, it's true that i find UT3 just an eye candy upgrade to UT2k4... but nevertheless their hurting their sales anyway

Comment

• I haven't seen the PC version, only the PS3 version, and I must say that even when it has a more interesting single player mode than the ones before it (UT, UT2K3, UT2K4), like Svartalf says, it is but a graphics revamp of UT2K4... While I can easily play hours and hours of botmatch in UT2K4, I get kind of bored in UT3 rather quickly (and it has nothing to do with the controls as I played it in the PS3 with mouse and keyboard). Maybe it is indeed true that Epic no longer cares about the Linux market and they'll be focusing their efforts in the console and Windows scene only (probably Macs, too). I won't say that I will no longer buy any of their products (especially having turned to consoles myself), but I can say that I may never again buy a PC title, as 1) I don't run Windows any more, and 2) Don't own (and won't be getting) a Mac.

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  well, it's true that i find UT3 just an eye candy upgrade to UT2k4... but nevertheless their hurting their sales anyway
                  Heh... With Sweeney badmouthing PC gaming in general and the commentary that they're going to be emphasizing console versions in the future, he's going to do a lot more damage to their sales, at least in the short term, than much of any losses from Linux sales...

UT3's got some nice eye-candy tech. I won't challenge that assertion. I would LIKE to see it happen on Linux. If it doesn't...heh...at this point it's no skin off my nose. All they're doing is cutting their nose off to spite their face- and we as members of the community should just move on. If they make it finally happen on Linux, GREAT. If not, well, there's other, arguably better titles showing up and have shown up for Linux during this time they've avoided telling us anything.

Their loss if they can't execute like they promised us publicly- all we need do is remind them and the world of the fact that they did tell us we were getting it and now aren't. Credibility's a precious thing- and Epic's spending through it pretty fast right now with all they're doing (and not doing...)

Comment

• Maybe someone ought to post a thread on Epic's forums asking Mark Rein what's up with the Linux port.

It will come if it is destined to. That's what I think. Just move on and if it comes, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Comment

• Is there really much of a point in getting it past whatever is holding it up anymore? Everybody who really wanted it bad, is already playing it. Us folks use operating systems other than Microshaft Wintendos knowing that we're not going to get all the games. It shouldn't surprise anyone that this one was promised and not delivered.

If anything is to blame for our gaming predicament its the usual suspects, copyrights and patents. As most of you already know these culprits attempt assign tangible property values to the intangible(IE a pattern of ones and zeros on a hard drive), using legislation and government privilege, for the purpose of maximizing ones wealth. Problem is the justice system is supposed to be for justice and not making people wealthy, even though its commonly used in this manner.

I can't think of any game companies that don't make heavy use of copyrights, and henceforth we're left out in the cold, because most of them don't see much benefit in releasing and supporting their title for our OS of choice. With the legalities of the situation as they are we'll always be left out in the cold, unless the vast majority of Wintendo users go on an exodus. I don't see that as something thats going to happen tomorrow, or next week.

The bottom line is that months have gone by since the release of UT3, and this is proof that releasing it on Linux is on the back burner for Epic. If they were really interested in our business we would've seen something by now. Unfortunately it seems we're just not the lucrative demographic of the computer user spectrum that will provide Epic games with the incentive to get their titles to us in a prompt manner.
                      Last edited by moonlitfire; 14 April 2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X