Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Rein (about Xbox 360 Version)
    "We don't have a particular release date yet but we're going to be playing it with some members of the press in two weeks at Midway's next Gamers Day in Las Vegas. Should be fun. The game is coming along really nicely."

Maybe the linux client could not be launched before Microsoft console version?

Maybe Apple and Microsoft "suggested" Epic to launch the Linux client after their versions.

Comment

• Originally posted by marakaid View Post
      Maybe the linux client could not be launched before Microsoft console version?
      That is interesting speculation, as it wouldn't be the first time someone has been paid off to do this.

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
      Maybe Apple and Microsoft "suggested" Epic to launch the Linux client after their versions.
      lol I don't think Apple has anything to do with it, because remember Epic is the one paying for the work to be done on the Linux port.

MacSoft (destineerstudios) is the one bringing UT3 to Mac, and I am fairly certain they are paying Epic for the rights to publish it (they license the code so they can port it AND pay for rights to publish it), just as they did with UT2004.

Paying for the rights to publish is a whole different game in itself (can be very difficult as I'm sure someone else around here will attest to ).

Comment

• how much time did it pass? 5-6 months? and still not even news about the client... pffff...not to mention that the Windows demo/game needs .NET (i still don't know what for) and it's stupidly hard to install/play it in WINE

and they have the nerve to complain that the sales where not as high as expected... doh... maybe if you had a multiplatform game out of the box (as advertised) maybe I and others would have bought the game last november not next June or whenever you decide to drop the legal sh*t and put the client for download...

eh...still waiting... i'll just go and play The Witcher in WINE... the performance is less than desired but it still works

Comment

• Originally posted by edged View Post
          Paying for the rights to publish is a whole different game in itself (can be very difficult as I'm sure someone else around here will attest to ).
          YES. It can be evil hard to convince someone to allow that to happen- and there's all kinds of flaming hoops you get to jump through if you DO convince someone. There's a reason that we've less ports than the actual demand for titles would lead one to believe there ought to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by edged View Post
            That is interesting speculation, as it wouldn't be the first time someone has been paid off to do this.
            Yeah, but it wouldn't fall under the "You wouldn't believe me if I told you..." category of things. I'd believe him AND be pissed off at Epic for doing it that way.

Comment

• These 3rd party issues are always somehow stupid, driver development has the same problem. When you look at the best example how it could be done then you will see that they basically don't use any 3rd party tools for the main engine: id software. Others use too many 3rd party parts and then they get into trouble when the thing needs get ported. Its all about time to market and as sooner as you are done you get your revenue - even if that means that smaller markets (Linux is of course no real big one) get lost somehow. Console games are the future, so ports are needed first - especially PS3 - or even 360 as long as live games are not fully broken (don't know the status about that). PS3 has got no copies, one of the side aspects that when you get Linux support out of the box it is a bit dull to do the same in another way - which would lead to enable other (unwanted) extra possiblities.

Comment

• Still no updates? I think what mark rein said about the linux client being a "pet project" is the real reason the linux client is being held back, and it probably won't be released.

Comment

• If history is any indication, port projects that somehow go -silent- for a long period of time with not apparent reason are usually abandoned/canceled. (I can name a few).

I'm just guessing here, but IMHO UT2K3/Linux is no more.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• stupid that they havent given any information at all.. they sure doesent act like someone who wishes to sell a product.. for instance, if i went to a local computer shop, asked: "Hey, let me purchase a graphics card!", but the person in the shop just stood and looked at me, without saying anything... for..... 5 months, then i dont think i'd be so interrested in purchasing from that shop anymore.. and i dont think a "you wouldnt believe this!" would have helped either.

they will have to act really really really quickly if they still want me to buy it. The longer they wait, the less likely it is.. i see people around me already loosing interrest in playing it, since they have already played it pretty much alot since its release, if they are not playing when i can get the chance, well, that pretty much removes alot of its value, then it will have to be alot cheaper for me to consider it.

Comment

• Well, maybe to them it's not that they are selling the linux client, it would be available for download for free for anyone who has bought the retail game at a store, and then copy its contents to their linux install. So thats why they are not interested, and dont have the honesty to just say they are not going to release a linux client. They are more focused on the map pack they released recently for the pc and the ps3. Did anyone get to play those?

Comment

Working...
                      X