Linux Steam Usage Dropped Slightly In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    And the compelling reasons why windows gamers should switch to Linux are? There are none, someone could say freedom and others things, but gamers doesnt care about that, they only want to play ALL their games with a good performance, and they can do that in windows better than in Linux.
    Maybe SteamOS will need exclusive games to bring gamers to use this OS (as xbox and PS does). Or maybe we should see SteamOS as a competition against consoles, and not against windows.
    Valve didn't position SteamOS as an Windows alternative. They even went as fat to inform everyone on the steamOS site it really isn't meant to be used as an desktop and pointed to Ubuntu for development / desktop work.

As far i've read, SteamOS is meant as an gameconsole/mediabox. Its one time install, from then on auto updates for your OS, Driver, Steam, games, etc. Also it offers great integration for your gamepads etc. I also noted a menu for remote control devices, but already had Lirc in place, so wasn't interested. For me its great in the living room with an older pc for fun games with the family and friends (I intend to stream, when this is supported for Linux).

Although I did install XBMC on it, which took me more time than it would on Ubuntu. But I've seen Valve is already making this easier for everyone. They added xbmc packages etc.
    Last edited by tmpdir; 02 June 2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      I love Windows 8...
      *prepares for insults*

That being said, I love Linux more (<3 my Manjaro installation)
      I like it to ...

... it made Valve deciding to support Linux

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Even if it was random, it would be pretty accurate considering the number of active accounts on Steam. The real issue I have is that I've never seen the survey on Linux even though I have had Steam installed many times over the last year. I'm not sure whether or not I'm even getting considered to be counted.
        Salut,

You're right; I've never seen the survey either until yesterday afternoon. Personaly, I've been enrolled early in the Beta (third batch, end of 2012).

I assume that the results of the average Linux users would be more relevant if Valve would send the survey to all Linux users on a more regular basis at the same time...

From my personal experience, I confirm that using Radeon's card sucks! With the Intel HD4000 is "ok", not more & not with all games. But with Nvidia, it's something else...

I can play all the "big titles" available on Steam that I bought (Amnesia the dark descent, Trine 2, Serious Sam 3, Half-life 2, The Witcher 2, Metro last Light & a few more); Most of them with the options at the maximum (depending on the limits of my rig).

I am using Debian Jessie 8.0 (current Testing), kernel 3.14.1-amd64 and the last version of the Nvidia blob driver (331.79-1) from the SID repository. My rig is composed of an Intel i7 3770 (overclocked at 4.5 GHz), 16 Go DDR3 1600MHz (overclocked at 1933MHz) and an MSI GTX760 Mini 2Go.

All in all, I've got very good game's experiences on Steam.

A+
        Debcool
        Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          ...the only good windows out there now is 7. i can't understand how people use 8.xxx but ok their choice, i respect that....
          I picked up a couple of licenses for ?25 each in the release window, at the time a Windows 7 license (non-OEM) would have set me back around ?80 each. And for light useage (gaming, internet etc)., there's no need to go into the Metro interface any more which pretty much makes it the same as Windows 7. Everything I use can comfortably fit pinned on the taskbar. For my useage there's little to no difference between 7 and 8, and 8 was cheaper.

Comment

Yeah well. With many Linux ports of the games being inferior to their Windows version, I'm not using Linux either for gaming. Some games are missing anti-aliasing, others high detailed shadows, or other graphical candy.

I didn't buy a GTX 780 in order to play crippled ports.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              Even if it was random, it would be pretty accurate considering the number of active accounts on Steam. The real issue I have is that I've never seen the survey on Linux even though I have had Steam installed many times over the last year. I'm not sure whether or not I'm even getting considered to be counted.
              Got it twice. Both times on a Linux machine.

Comment

Playing "all" games is the key thing here - never will all the legacy games get ported, and people still play them. Same thing with other software - most ppl have a bunch of various software that they usually paid for, or learned to use, that they want to continue to use, and GNU/Linux won't give them that. That's why there are few converts, we should rather be trying to get ppl who are totally new to computing, they won't have these problems.

Comment

... Or maybe we should see SteamOS as a competition against consoles, and not against windows.
                  SteamOS has always been considered a competition against consoles. No one said it is a competition against Windows.

Comment

And the compelling reasons why windows gamers should switch to Linux are?
                    According to Gabe, the main reason is to run away from the direction where microsoft is directing the windows games eco-system.
                    To make an exagerated and oversimplified image: it looks as if microsoft wanted to control everything, have everything restricted exclusively to an official "App Marketplace" type of walled garden, and make mandatory for every single game to go through some official Microsoft Games on Windows.

So in short, the most compelling reasons is: Linux isn't the DRM/Walled Garden trainwreck that Windows might slowly begin to become over the next few years.

but gamers doesnt care about that, they only want to play ALL their games with a good performance, and they can do that in windows better than in Linux.
                    ...for now. The fear is that one day it might not be the case, depending on the latest whim coming out of redmond. Better have an alternate option, and currently, building a software platform arround Free/Libre Opensource Software (where Valve isn't restricted) is the most secure option.

Maybe SteamOS will need exclusive games to bring gamers to use this OS (as xbox and PS does).
                    I wouldn't bet at that. For one, although once they used to be an interesting point (We're completely over-optimising this game for one specific hardware. Expect more gorgeous eye candy, as we can specifically tailor the experience to the hardware instead of having to target the lowest common denominator to enable a multi-console port) exclusive games don't make much sense today (no point in tailoring your games when all modern hardware looks even more like a bunch of cheap small PCs with only variation in the packaging). In fact, modern exclusive games sound like a lousy marketing ploy (our console is so uninteresting, that the only way we got to persuade you into buying it is to selectively release a game on it for no other reasons, even if we could target all modern machines with a simple recompile)

I would rather suspect Valve to try pushing pack-ins (buy one SteamBox for the christmas 2015 season, and get a steam key for free for linux versions of our special selection of top 12 linux games, including Half-Life episode 3 and Postal 3).

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    GNU Linux is more secure, performs better and can do a bunch of things Windows can't.
                    saddly, games aren't interested into building a super computer's calculation node. 3D Graphics is one of the few fields where as of today windows remains competitive.
                    So unlike other applications, performance isn't a distinguisher in the case.

On the other hand, SteamOS might become a very easy to deploy OS for living room PCs. (instead of fumbling with Windows 8.1, licenses, and getting everything ready, configured, with proper theme and a user interface adapted to the big screen - get an OS ans UI tailored for your needs after click "install").

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                    But I've seen Valve is already making this easier for everyone. They added xbmc packages etc.
                    Yup that sounds nice. And exactly what enthusiasts need:
                    slap in a good media playing capability (XBMC) a good DVR/PVR capabilites (either the recent DVR mode of XBMC, or other big linux classics like MythTV or LinuxDVR)
                    and you got the perfect platform for an easy deployment in the living room.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                      According to Gabe, the main reason is to run away from the direction where microsoft is directing the windows games eco-system.
                      To make an exagerated and oversimplified image: it looks as if microsoft wanted to control everything, have everything restricted exclusively to an official "App Marketplace" type of walled garden, and make mandatory for every single game to go through some official Microsoft Games on Windows.
                      I suppose you don't see the irony with Steam being such a platform de-facto. Certainly they do not force it, but the market does the forcing for them: even if you publish in every single other digital store than Steam you get a small fraction of the audience. Makes Valve look much less evil that way, but the end result is the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X