Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Developer's Perspective On Porting Games To Linux

Phoronix: A Developer's Perspective On Porting Games To Linux

Leszek Godlewski, the former developer at The Farm 51 who has ported games like Painkiller Hell and Damnation and Deadfall Adventures to Linux / SteamOS, has given another presentation on porting games to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cool, nice shader tips

Comment

Didn't know the gdb-index trick. Nice to learn new small tricks even as an experienced Linux developer.

Comment

Yes it's a shame he's not working on this any longer because we don't know if those games - namely Painkiller HD and Deadfall - will ever reach the gold state on Linux. There's still much work to do, with many graphical glitches on Deadfall and FSAA still missing on Painkiller HD (plus a great number of bugs introduced on all platforms with latest patch). And finally, this guy really is a great person, devoted to his public, not having him porting games any longer is quite sad. Anyway.

Comment

Excellent... It would be good porting of major titles of the recent past of whom I prefer: Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider (trilogy), Dawn of War (collection of the first serie), Alone in the Dark, Max Payne, Homeworld and Joint Task Force.. in modern grafical way.
          Last edited by Azrael5; 08 May 2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Leszek for some great ground tips that will help many if they are porting games to even making games coming from a DirectX win32/64 background.

The time is now to for Linux to be the game central since not only will you get Linux Users but you are making code that is near ready, or visa versa, for Mobile and Apple Computers.

Comment

Anyone have non-embedded link so I can use deslide?

Comment

While a presentation can be useful addition to a talk, reading one without audio is like reading a bridge building manual written by a troll... you know, a full sentence is an abomination. BTW I remember somebody related to porting games to Linux saying that he would never use a presentation as they make people stop listening, sadly can't match the situation with the name.

Comment

@turol : http://slideshare.net/LeszekGodlewski/lg-dd20141yop

Thank you for these useful tips!

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    Excellent... It would be good porting of major titles of the recent past of whom I prefer: Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider (trilogy), Dawn of War (collection of the first serie), Alone in the Dark, Max Payne, Homeworld and Joint Task Force.. in modern grafical way.
                    I vote for Alone in the dark. I remember playing it on my 386 SX (no coprocessor) back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                    X