Valve Is Now Giving Away Their Games To Ubuntu Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cann View Post
    I doubt this, as Debian is used as their base for SteamOS, while Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distributions are the most common distributions as well as having the largest hardware support.

If I were to make my guess on where they would offer the developers their games free of charge, I would say the Fedora developers are next on their list, due to the popularity (I'm basing this on the list available at Distrowatch, which may or may not be accurate). However, considering Ubuntu is recommended by many for standalone installs of Steam, this may or may not happen.
    "By many"? It's recommended by Valve.

Comment

B) They have the open source community to do the work for them for free, rather than hiring developers themselves to improve the software, saving them even more money in the long run.
      Yeah, because Valve is really struggling with money and isn't hiring everyone who didn't run fast enough right now... you know them well.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Yeah, because Valve is really struggling with money and isn't hiring everyone who didn't run fast enough right now... you know them well.
        Where did I imply that, may I ask?
        The issue isn't that Valve can't afford it. It's because they rather let the community do the work for them free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          "By many"? It's recommended by Valve.
          By many, I also mean Valve as well.

Comment

Surely the Mesa/Gallium3D and other FOSS driver devs would be the obvious next choice, given the large inroads that can be made in game-specific performance?

Comment

The issue isn't that Valve can't afford it. It's because they rather let the community do the work for them free of charge.
              It's not like Valve is forcing anyone to do anything for them; besides, is that really a bad thing? Valve is a game developer who hires the best game developers in the industry first and foremost, so they should focus on making games. They do have employees who are really into Linux like the SDL developer, and they are creating some nice debugging utilities for other game developers. Not to mention, they have driver developers working closely with them to help optimize and fix bugs in their drivers, so what more can you really ask for from a game developer? Valve is a huge name in the gaming industry. Would you prefer EA or Ubisoft?
              Last edited by mmstick; 10 February 2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                Surely the Mesa/Gallium3D and other FOSS driver devs would be the obvious next choice, given the large inroads that can be made in game-specific performance?
                That would be wonderful! Valve, please make it so!

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                  yeah, i'm working on that this week.

Comment

and kernel

Comment

So?

That's exactly the benefit of the open source model. Businesses get good software for "free". Users get to enjoy the benefits of the inevitable improvements made to all that open source software, caused by the interest and investment of said businesses. Everybody wins!

It'd be a different thing if Valve wasn't a good FOSS citizen, if they only took others' work and didn't contribute anything back. But so far, seems like they're contributing. I mean, it's not like with FreeBSD that gets one night stands with Apple and Sony who slink away in the morning and never call back the next day. Linux is GPL'd so if Valve makes contributions, we all benefit from them.

Comment

Working...
                      X