No announcement yet.

The PlayStation 4 Does Use The FreeBSD Kernel, Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with GPL or code that is under one of the GPL licenses, but I find it's unfair to attack the BSD license, Sony, or any other company or individual for using BSD licensed software. It was licensed the way it is because the creators wanted it to be used the way that it is being used--same with GPL (when it isn't being abused, of course).

It's like complaining because your neighbor got a pie recipe from the internet and modified it slightly (in a way that you found appealing), gave you a piece of the pie, but wouldn't share the modified recipe. I mean, you're free to complain, but it's completely within their rights not to share it. It'd be different if it were a GPL recipe, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Great, but it won't change its market share much. Sony has code for free and they don't even have to share their patches. It's Open Source software, but it's the worst possible kind of it. GPL projects like Linux kernel serve community and ensure community will benefit when some company finds the code useful. That's a real nature of Open Source. Btw. will you check if Moogy runs bsd as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sWzrmIoCac
      Sony have donated to the FreeBSD Foundation and a grep of the FreeBSD source tree reveals a lot of code marked as coming from Sony Computer Entertainment. I'm sure a lot of that code is useful to the community. Financial benefit is also nice.

Not that the BSD license demanded it. The BSD licence is based on the free spirit of giving; something appropriate to mention, given that today is Christmas, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p
        Sony have donated to the FreeBSD Foundation and a grep of the FreeBSD source tree reveals a lot of code marked as coming from Sony Computer Entertainment. I'm sure a lot of that code is useful to the community.
        There's no proof to back it up. Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          I have no problem with GPL or code that is under one of the GPL licenses, but I find it's unfair to attack the BSD license, Sony, or any other company or individual for using BSD licensed software. It was licensed the way it is because the creators wanted it to be used the way that it is being used--same with GPL (when it isn't being abused, of course).

It's like complaining because your neighbor got a pie recipe from the internet and modified it slightly (in a way that you found appealing), gave you a piece of the pie, but wouldn't share the modified recipe. I mean, you're free to complain, but it's completely within their rights not to share it. It'd be different if it were a GPL recipe, but...

And i find it unfair the fact that lobbyists pay to have laws in their advantage, like games that are not considered art so they aren't obligated to produce them for all platforms: ISA independent (like C11-LLVM), and OS independent (like using open libraries - OpenGL).

I also find it unfair when they do cartel deals behind the scenes so the games may only be for Windowz and Consoles. When they create inflation and slaves. Who needs a many machines that they can do the same (PC+ Console+ Smartphone+ Tablet+ SmartTV+ Blueray+ WTF), instead of one.

I thing gaming is their last fortress. When the D3D9 state tracker becomes real for Linux, and Qemu becomes efficient, they are goners. Windowz Will be crashed 2-3 years after D3D9 state tracker, And ISA computing in favor of open source computing 2-3 years after Qemu becomes efficient. And that's the two top projects that community must give their last drop of blood. If someone wants to do it for real, he has my donation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            They have right to be screwed, still I have a right to laugh at and point finger at web site that does allow it to be screwed. It hurts OTHER site, that uses GPL3 license for cookies! I am making this claim as part of community who reads GPL3 cookie site :P

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              And i find it unfair the fact that lobbyists pay to have laws in their advantage, like games that are not considered art so they aren't obligated to produce them for all platforms: ISA independent (like C11-LLVM), and OS independent (like using open libraries - OpenGL).

I also find it unfair when they do cartel deals behind the scenes so the games may only be for Windowz and Consoles. When they create inflation and slaves. Who needs a many machines that they can do the same (PC+ Console+ Smartphone+ Tablet+ SmartTV+ Blueray+ WTF), instead of one.

I thing gaming is their last fortress. When the D3D9 state tracker becomes real for Linux, and Qemu becomes efficient, they are goners. Windowz Will be crashed 2-3 years after D3D9 state tracker, And ISA computing in favor of open source computing 2-3 years after Qemu becomes efficient. And that's the two top projects that community must give their last drop of blood. If someone wants to do it for real, he has my donation.
              D3D9 is dead, fyi. No modern games will be using it anymore once XP support is dropped shortly.
              According to steam's hardware survey, DX9 hardware makes up a tiny minority of their userbase too.

Comment

Those being simple searches on a rather limited search engine. If you could search commits for authors, that'd be nice (lookin' at you, github).

Can't find anything related to Sony donating to the FreeBSD foundation after a couple quick google searches.

Comment

I tried to correlate Sony's list with packages available in Debian and hence probably available on SteamOS. It seems there must be quite a bit of shared code between these platforms, even if the hardware, toolchain and middleware are very different:

Available in Debian (listing names of the source packages):
                  opus: CELT (Opus)
                  cairo: cairo
                  curl: cURL
                  mono:
                  eglib
                  Mono class libraries
                  Mono VM
                  expat: Expat XML Parser
                  freetype: FreeType 2
                  giflib: giflib-4.1.2
                  icu: ICU
                  jquery: jQuery
                  libjpeg6b: libjpeg
                  libjpeg-turbo: libjpeg-turbo
                  libpng: libpng
                  libunwind [linux-any]: libunwind
                  libxml2: libxml2
                  lua5.2: Lua
                  openssl: OpenSSL
                  pixman: pixman
                  protobuf: Protocol Buffers
                  webkitgtk: Webkit
                  zlib: zlib

Available only on the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port:
                  kfreebsd-9:
                  Ethernet driver
                  FreeBSD Kernel
                  mmc driver & sdhci driver
                  Network FreeBSD
                  udf2.x fs
                  freebsd-utils: FreeBSD's fsck/newfs commands
                  freebsd-libs:
                  libusb FreeBSD
                  kiconv for unicode
                  libcxxrt

Stuff available in FreeBSD only:
                  BSD libc
                  libm
                  libpthread
                  libusrsctp 0.9.1

Other stuff I couldn't find packaged for Debian:
                  base64
                  cJSON
                  Jerasure version 1.2A
                  libcompiler_rt
                  Mersenne Twister
                  SQLite-net
                  squish

Comment

It's not their 1st time

Sony has been using FreeBSD and other open source software in their products for a very long time.

FreeBSD and various other open source libraries also powered their latest portable game console: http://www.scei.co.jp/psvita-license/

However, Linux is the kernel which powered basically all the other products, including NEX series camera and Bravia TV: http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/common/search.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                      Great, but it won't change its market share much. Sony has code for free and they don't even have to share their patches. It's Open Source software, but it's the worst possible kind of it. GPL projects like Linux kernel serve community and ensure community will benefit when some company finds the code useful. That's a real nature of Open Source. Btw. will you check if Moogy runs bsd as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sWzrmIoCac
                      What do you know about "a real nature of Open Source", troll?

Comment

Working...
                      X